Old 16-12-2009, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

Default Hyacinth query

I bought two Hyacinth each in a glass container. The instructions were to
keep them in a dark and cool place for about 10-12 weeks
Is it essential to have them in the dark ? I was proposing to keep them in
the garage which is fairly dark and cool
Blair

Old 16-12-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

bm writes
I bought two Hyacinth each in a glass container. The instructions were to
keep them in a dark and cool place for about 10-12 weeks
Is it essential to have them in the dark ? I was proposing to keep them in
the garage which is fairly dark and cool

The theory is that if they're in the light, they'll grow top growth
before growing the roots to sustain the growth.

Normally, they'd be largely underground, and therefore dark - in a pot
they're planted high up, so you mimic the dark of the soil by keeping
them in the dark
--
Kay
Old 17-12-2009, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

"K" wrote in message
bm writes
I bought two Hyacinth each in a glass container. The instructions were to
keep them in a dark and cool place for about 10-12 weeks
Is it essential to have them in the dark ? I was proposing to keep them in
the garage which is fairly dark and cool

The theory is that if they're in the light, they'll grow top growth before
growing the roots to sustain the growth.

Normally, they'd be largely underground, and therefore dark - in a pot
they're planted high up, so you mimic the dark of the soil by keeping them
in the dark
--
Kay

Thanks Kay. I now understand
Blair

Old 17-12-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

bm writes

"K" wrote in message
bm writes
I bought two Hyacinth each in a glass container. The instructions were to
keep them in a dark and cool place for about 10-12 weeks
Is it essential to have them in the dark ? I was proposing to keep them in
the garage which is fairly dark and cool

The theory is that if they're in the light, they'll grow top growth before
growing the roots to sustain the growth.

Normally, they'd be largely underground, and therefore dark - in a pot
they're planted high up, so you mimic the dark of the soil by keeping them
in the dark

Thanks Kay. I now understand

Where that leaves growing hyacinths in one of these hyacinth glasses
(1), where the roots grow down into water in the clear glass base, I
don't know!
;-)

(1)Though using one is a bad idea because the bulb uses up all its
reserves and doesn't get enough food to replenish, so chances of a
flower the second year are zero
--
Kay

I may have some hyacinth after all....also lily question. jammer Ponds 2 23-02-2003 08:17 PM
Indoor Hyacinth Jack United Kingdom 4 11-02-2003 10:04 PM
Festival Blue hyacinth Zemedelec Gardening 0 11-02-2003 05:25 PM
Water Hyacinth REBEL JOE Ponds 5 08-02-2003 11:01 PM
Hyacinth bulbs Sylvie United Kingdom 0 27-10-2002 10:36 AM