Old 18-12-2009, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Holly

Lots of berries on the holly trees this year. But this week when I
went to collect some for indoors, no berries at all! I presume it's
those sodding birds again. What do others do about this prob I wonder?
If you collect holly in November do the berries stay on (or do you use
superglue!)
cheers
Jon
Old 18-12-2009, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lots of berries on the holly trees this year. But this week when I
went to collect some for indoors, no berries at all! I presume it's
those sodding birds again. What do others do about this prob I wonder?
If you collect holly in November do the berries stay on (or do you use
superglue!)
cheers
Jon

I have the same every year and now I leave the berries for the birds, I
think that they need them more than I do. You can buy very convincing
artificial berries that you can attach to the branches for the house.

kate

Old 18-12-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

NogbadtheCool writes
Lots of berries on the holly trees this year. But this week when I
went to collect some for indoors, no berries at all! I presume it's
those sodding birds again. What do others do about this prob I wonder?
If you collect holly in November do the berries stay on (or do you use
superglue!)

Pick as late as you can, then stand the branches in a bucket of water in
a cool place (eg porch).

They last longer indoors in water, too. I put vases of holly around
instead of hanging up clumps of it.

Not much bird damage yet, but then I grow lots of berries of different
types, so the birds have lots of other things to go at first. At the
moment they're on the Rosa rugosa hips and the last few apples that I
left for them.
--
Kay
Old 19-12-2009, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Dec, 12:35, K wrote:
NogbadtheCool writes

Lots of berries on the holly trees this year. But this week when I
went to collect some for indoors, no berries at all! I presume it's
those sodding birds again. What do others do about this prob I wonder?
If you collect holly in November do the berries stay on (or do you use
superglue!)

Pick as late as you can, then stand the branches in a bucket of water in
a cool place (eg porch).

They last longer indoors in water, too. I put vases of holly around
instead of hanging up clumps of it.

Not much bird damage yet, but then I grow lots of berries of different
types, so the birds have lots of other things to go at first. At the
moment they're on the Rosa rugosa hips and the last few apples that I
left for them.
--
Kay

The problem with cutting holly early is that though the birds won't
get the berries, the mice will if you are not very carefull, also when
you cut it early you can get leaf drop at times.
David Hill
Old 23-12-2009, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NogbadtheCool" wrote in message
Lots of berries on the holly trees this year. But this week when I
went to collect some for indoors, no berries at all! I presume it's
those sodding birds again. What do others do about this prob I wonder?
If you collect holly in November do the berries stay on (or do you use
superglue!)

You would begrudge the birds eating berries so that they can survive?

mark

Old 24-12-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"NogbadtheCool" wrote in message
Lots of berries on the holly trees this year. But this week when I
went to collect some for indoors, no berries at all! I presume it's
those sodding birds again. What do others do about this prob I wonder?
If you collect holly in November do the berries stay on (or do you use
superglue!)

You would begrudge the birds eating berries so that they can survive?

I begrudge the damned pidgeons eating my veg!

Alan

mark