Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sauve quit peut!

Just looked at the 5 day forecast and brought the pot with the lemon tree
into the dining room inside the patio door.
It can keep the zonal perlagonia company.
It has lived outside for the last 3-4 years but this weather is extreme.
It is still looking O.K. so far but the newish growth at the tips of the
branches is starting to wilt.

Next problem will be when to return it to the wild.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Just looked at the 5 day forecast and brought the pot with the lemon tree
into the dining room inside the patio door.
It can keep the zonal perlagonia company.
It has lived outside for the last 3-4 years but this weather is extreme.
It is still looking O.K. so far but the newish growth at the tips of the
branches is starting to wilt.

Next problem will be when to return it to the wild.

Depends how warm and cosy it is in the Dining Room?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 22:28:05 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

Just looked at the 5 day forecast and brought the pot with the lemon
tree into the dining room inside the patio door.
It can keep the zonal perlagonia company.
It has lived outside for the last 3-4 years but this weather is extreme.
It is still looking O.K. so far but the newish growth at the tips of
the branches is starting to wilt.

Next problem will be when to return it to the wild.

Cheers

Dave R

When the danger of frost is past! As long as it doesn't get too hot or
you don't water it too much - which you won't - it will be fine.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 22:28:05 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

Just looked at the 5 day forecast and brought the pot with the lemon tree
into the dining room inside the patio door.
It can keep the zonal perlagonia company.
It has lived outside for the last 3-4 years but this weather is extreme.
It is still looking O.K. so far but the newish growth at the tips of the
branches is starting to wilt.

Next problem will be when to return it to the wild.

Cheers

Dave R

When the danger of frost is past! As long as it doesn't get too hot or
you don't water it too much - which you won't - it will be fine.

Too hot might be an issue - the patio door is south facing - but I have
limited frost free storage space at the moment.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 22:28:05 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

Just looked at the 5 day forecast and brought the pot with the lemon
tree into the dining room inside the patio door.
It can keep the zonal perlagonia company.
It has lived outside for the last 3-4 years but this weather is extreme.
It is still looking O.K. so far but the newish growth at the tips of
the branches is starting to wilt.

Next problem will be when to return it to the wild.

Cheers

Dave R

When the danger of frost is past! As long as it doesn't get too hot or
you don't water it too much - which you won't - it will be fine.

Too hot might be an issue - the patio door is south facing - but I have
limited frost free storage space at the moment.

I know it's a faff but put it out on sunny days and bring it back in at
night and on cold, gloomy days!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 22:28:05 +0000, "David WE Roberts"
said:

Just looked at the 5 day forecast and brought the pot with the lemon
tree into the dining room inside the patio door.
It can keep the zonal perlagonia company.
It has lived outside for the last 3-4 years but this weather is
extreme.
It is still looking O.K. so far but the newish growth at the tips of
the branches is starting to wilt.

Next problem will be when to return it to the wild.

Cheers

Dave R

When the danger of frost is past! As long as it doesn't get too hot or
you don't water it too much - which you won't - it will be fine.

Too hot might be an issue - the patio door is south facing - but I have
limited frost free storage space at the moment.

I know it's a faff but put it out on sunny days and bring it back in at
night and on cold, gloomy days!

Hmmm....even when the sunny day is still sub-zero?
Arctic conditions here at the moment.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 22:28:05 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

Our Meyer's Lemon is in the ground in an unheated greenhouse and has
no watering but survives intermittent temps down to -6C. So far, it's
gone to -3C at night and today never got above freezing. It's right
beside a door with a large window pane missing, so effectively it's
getting the treatment I thought of for yours. But you know your own
garden's temps, so is there a sunny spot that would be less arctic than
other places in the garden? And how about swaddling it and making sure
it's raised so that it drains well if it rains? Would that keep it
going? It's a puzzlement because normally it would be 'leave the doors
and vents open in the daytime' but that would make your house freezing
and of course, insecure.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-04 11:16:28 +0000, "David WE Roberts"

On 2010-01-03 22:28:05 +0000, "David WE Roberts"
said:

[...]

It is in a sheltered south facing nook normally, up against the wall.
However the current weather (predicted two weeks below freezing) is
allegedly the worst in 19 years so I am concerned that the poor thing will
have a nervous breakdown ;-)
I don't think it is a good idea to chuck it outside again at the moment,
even with a fleece.
One temperature change is bad enough.

My plan is to keep it indoors for a couple of weeks until this cold weather
eases then 'harden it off' again and leave it outside unless we have even
more unusual weather.

I would like to bring it into a shed to keep it cool but frost free; however
my shed is full, as is my garage.

Thank you for all your advice - even though I am ignoring some of it :-)

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. you should have some snow by now.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 22:28:05 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

If they have absolutely no heating, they're no good to you anyway.

Thank you for all your advice - even though I am ignoring some of it :-)

Quite right, too. You know your conditions, we don't! When you start
to put it outside again, it will need to be re-acclimatised,.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. you should have some snow by now.

Oh, groan. We had snow this morning for a very brief 20 minutes or so,
then we've had rain and sleet. Now it's dry. Tomorrow's lanes should
be such fun......
--
Sacha

Quit eatin' my new grass dammit! Padraig Garden Photos 3 27-04-2007 09:43 AM
fish quit eating theCLAW Ponds 2 05-08-2003 04:32 PM
(OT) must quit feeding the troll Julie Sloan Gardening 0 14-07-2003 12:12 PM
(OT) must quit feeding the troll Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 08-07-2003 02:08 AM