Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia

After the cold winter our camellia has many more buds than usual.

It looks like the bad winter may result in much better budding.

Is this normal for camellia?

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
After the cold winter our camellia has many more buds than usual.

It looks like the bad winter may result in much better budding.

Is this normal for camellia?

Steve

Although I am unsure whether it's normal or not our camellias are
certainly bud laden this year as are those in friends gardens. Let's
hope we don't get an ill timed late frost to blight the show. Last
couple of years our plum blossoms were blasted - only a handful of fruit
as opposed to the normal heavy crop.

Fingers crossed!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-02 13:26:01 +0000, Gopher said:

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
After the cold winter our camellia has many more buds than usual.

It looks like the bad winter may result in much better budding.

Is this normal for camellia?

Steve

Although I am unsure whether it's normal or not our camellias are
certainly bud laden this year as are those in friends gardens. Let's
hope we don't get an ill timed late frost to blight the show. Last
couple of years our plum blossoms were blasted - only a handful of
fruit as opposed to the normal heavy crop.

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed indeed. Ours are also heavy with buds but is it the
cold - doubt it - or is it some other kind of stress they've been under?

Like what? Isn't cold a stress?

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:26:55 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

After the cold winter our camellia has many more buds than usual.

It looks like the bad winter may result in much better budding.

Is this normal for camellia?

Steve

More likely to be the wet summer. Buds are formed then, not in
winter. Mine too has a mass of healthy buds.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
After the cold winter our camellia has many more buds than usual.

It looks like the bad winter may result in much better budding.

Is this normal for camellia?

Steve

More likely to be the wet summer. *Buds are formed then, not in
winter. *Mine too has a mass of healthy buds.

Pam in Bristol

I'm not sure about Camelias but the flower buds on a Rhododendron are
formed June/july of the preceding year, so if they dont get enough
water at that stage you dont get such good flowering the following
year, I would suspect the same is true for Camelias.
David Hill

Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
After the cold winter our camellia has many more buds than usual.

It looks like the bad winter may result in much better budding.

Is this normal for camellia?

Steve

Should have added a wet summer helps as well!!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk