Old 17-03-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beginner with Bulbs

On 2010-03-16 22:57:28 +0000, Spider said:

On 16/03/2010 16:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Jeff Layman wrote:

There are very few invasive bulbs, particularly on clay soil. But
one I
would particularly avoid is common muscari (grape hyacinth). If you
have
good, free draining soil it will take over and is not easy to get
rid
of as
the bulbs produce dozens of smaller bulblets when you dig them
up. It
also
self-seeds everywhere.

I'll second that.

At the other end of the scale, I was surprised to hear on GW that
the iris reticulata, which are currently looking very good, are
unlikely to show much next year. Were they being unduly
pessimistic?

Chris

A bit. In IME they tend to die away slowly. Small irises don't compare
with crocuses for reliability every year, unfortunately.

The real devil is Iris danfordiae. This has attractive yellow flowers
but it breaks up into much smaller bulblets after flowering. These
never
seem to get to flowering size again. The usual advice is to plant them
deeply which prevents them breaking up. Didn't work when I tried it.

I've heard this about I. reticulata and I. danfordiae. I've read that
they both break up into small bulblets and so fail to flower. I've
also read the 'plant deeply' advice but not tried it. I lose most of
my small irises to slugs.

On the subject of invading bulbous plants, I would advise caution with
some of the small ranunculus.

And Crocosmia, much as I like it.

Quite true. I spent months getting rid of my bog-standard Crocosmias
from a border. I now only buy named cvs.

Which reminds me........I have some other things to send you but did I
ever send you our C. Krakatoa?

Yes, you did, thank you, Sacha. They're just starting to push through
the soil. As you said at the time, a great follow-on to C. 'Lucifer'.

Spider

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 19-03-2010, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Oh good. Now for the Alstromeria. I'll have a word with the Boss. ;-)

That's very good of you, Sacha. Mine are all still looking very sad
after the winter. I'm keeping my fingers xd.

Thanks for emailing me the latest from Hill House, btw. I'll have a
proper look soon. Just seem to be soooo busy atm. I just snatch a few
precious moments urgling now and then. Will catch up soon, surely ...