Old 16-03-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn aerators

I want to try lowering parts of my lawn by using an aerator to pull out
plugs of soil. Has anyone tried this? My problem is that the paving
slabs in places get more below soil level year by year. I cut my lawn
with gang mowers so can't remove the cuttings.

Rob Graham
Old 16-03-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:37:09 +0000, Rob Graham
wrote:

I want to try lowering parts of my lawn by using an aerator to pull out
plugs of soil. Has anyone tried this? My problem is that the paving
slabs in places get more below soil level year by year.

If you do it twice a day it'll take you months if not years.
Get a little man in to relay the slabs.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 16-03-2010, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob Graham" wrote in message
I want to try lowering parts of my lawn by using an aerator to pull out
plugs of soil. Has anyone tried this? My problem is that the paving slabs
in places get more below soil level year by year. I cut my lawn with gang
mowers so can't remove the cuttings.

Rob Graham

If you want to lower your lawn, lift the turf, remove some soil, fertilise,
then relay the turf.

Old 16-03-2010, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
I want to try lowering parts of my lawn by using an aerator to pull out
plugs of soil. Has anyone tried this? My problem is that the paving
slabs in places get more below soil level year by year. I cut my lawn
with gang mowers so can't remove the cuttings.

Rob Graham

As well as what the others have said, my experience of a hollow tine
aerator is that the tubes very rapidly block and it ceases to work.
You spend ten times longer clearing the tubes than hollow-tining the
grass. They're a right PITA!

Cut the grass into squares with a half-moon edging tool or sharp
spade, lift the turves, remove some soil and replace the turves.

Or raise the slabs.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

The slabs need to be lifted and re laid.
The worms in the lawn bring soil to the surface so that over time the
lawn rises, but as they can't do the same where the slabs are the
slabs seem to sink into the ground.
David Hill
Old 17-03-2010, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2010 17:37, Rob Graham wrote:
I want to try lowering parts of my lawn by using an aerator to pull out
plugs of soil. Has anyone tried this? My problem is that the paving
slabs in places get more below soil level year by year. I cut my lawn
with gang mowers so can't remove the cuttings.

Rob Graham

Thank you for your useful replies. I think I'll get the usual 'little
man in' and raise the slabs myself as I always have done!

Coring v Spike lawn aerators + How effective is Mantis an aerator? Newbie Gardening 9 01-10-2010 05:38 PM
Lawn aerators Barry Ward Australia 4 17-03-2007 11:35 PM
Lawn aerators Chris Hogg United Kingdom 8 11-04-2006 06:05 PM
Manual push aerators and dethatcher q. Jack Gardening 1 08-05-2004 03:04 AM
Ryan aerators Robert Olin Lawns 5 03-12-2003 01:32 AM