Old 18-03-2010, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growmore on lawns?

Hi

I'm resistant to the idea of buying another box of "Weed'n'feed lawn
treatment" for my modest-size lawn, since the price of these treatments
seems to rise exponentially every year -- and it's only very crude
chemicals when all's said and done.

I was thinking of chucking ordinary growmore over the lawn instead.
Obviously this wouldn't "weed" but it would surely "feed". I could then
maybe treat weeds as and when they appear, more selectively.

Any comments?
TIA
John
Old 18-03-2010, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John L" wrote in message
Hi

I'm resistant to the idea of buying another box of "Weed'n'feed lawn
treatment" for my modest-size lawn, since the price of these treatments
seems to rise exponentially every year -- and it's only very crude
chemicals when all's said and done.

I was thinking of chucking ordinary growmore over the lawn instead.
Obviously this wouldn't "weed" but it would surely "feed". I could then
maybe treat weeds as and when they appear, more selectively.

Any comments?
TIA
John

Done it for the last three years (on a family lawn, not a bowling green)
after thinking the same
Works a treat, just water it in settles the bigger lumps down low.
Also had a summer where I got experimental with individual feeds, mixing
them too.

Old 18-03-2010, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BOFH wrote:
"John L" wrote in message
Hi

I'm resistant to the idea of buying another box of "Weed'n'feed lawn
treatment" for my modest-size lawn, since the price of these
treatments seems to rise exponentially every year -- and it's only
very crude chemicals when all's said and done.

I was thinking of chucking ordinary growmore over the lawn instead.
Obviously this wouldn't "weed" but it would surely "feed". I could
then maybe treat weeds as and when they appear, more selectively.

Any comments?
TIA
John

Done it for the last three years (on a family lawn, not a bowling
green) after thinking the same
Works a treat, just water it in settles the bigger lumps down low.
Also had a summer where I got experimental with individual feeds,
mixing them too.

The lawn may not want feeding every year anyway. People over-feed them,
if you ask me. Why not try starving it for a year, just to see what
happens? No great harm will result if I'm wrong.

--
Mike.

Old 18-03-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John L" wrote ...
Hi

I'm resistant to the idea of buying another box of "Weed'n'feed lawn
treatment" for my modest-size lawn, since the price of these treatments
seems to rise exponentially every year -- and it's only very crude
chemicals when all's said and done.

I was thinking of chucking ordinary growmore over the lawn instead.
Obviously this wouldn't "weed" but it would surely "feed". I could then
maybe treat weeds as and when they appear, more selectively.

Done that for years after I accidentally split a sack of it whilst carrying
it to the Landrover and it went over part of the front grass. Picked up all
I could but a lot was left and a month or so later it was quite obvious
where it had been spilt, the grass was thicker and greener, much more lush.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Growmore - how much per plant? Jasbird United Kingdom 5 16-04-2011 11:53 AM
growmore after a few years john hamilton[_2_] United Kingdom 8 08-11-2010 03:54 PM
growmore Muddymike United Kingdom 2 20-03-2010 10:51 PM
Growmore, I don't want to get this wrong Marq United Kingdom 9 06-03-2010 06:19 PM
Growmore - how much per plant? Jasbird Edible Gardening 4 08-05-2006 10:55 PM