Old 20-03-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default modern day peat free compost

Sometime ago I posted regarding newer composts being rather weedy and
suggested that coincil green waste could well be mixed in with compost.
Here is a website which shows what happens to our garden recycled waste
picked up by local authorities,

http://www.hollybush-garden.com/spec...ers/index.html

regards
Cineman

Old 20-03-2010, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 23-03-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

My wife accidentally used some of this (not that particular brand) to
pot up some tomato plants a couple of years ago. The plants did grow,
Old 23-03-2010, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sutartsorric wrote:
On 20 Mar, 17:42, "cineman"
wrote:
Sometime ago I posted regarding newer composts being rather weedy and
suggested that coincil green waste could well be mixed in with
compost. Here is a website which shows what happens to our garden
recycled waste picked up by local authorities,

http://www.hollybush-garden.com/spec...ers/index.html

regards
Cineman

--

My wife accidentally used some of this (not that particular brand) to
pot up some tomato plants a couple of years ago. The plants did grow,
but extremely slowly and remained very sickly looking. I dont know
what the compost contains, but beware how you use it.

My beef with peat-free growing bags (growbags are my cheap source of
potting material) is that the stuff always seems to be very coarse: I
don't think they compost it for long enough. That might slow down the
root development of your transplants if they're still quite small.

--
Mike.

Old 24-03-2010, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/03/2010 20:02, Mike Lyle wrote:
sutartsorric wrote:
On 20 Mar, 17:42,
wrote:
[...]

I have just had some petunia seed come up fine on New Horizon growbag
compost.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Old 24-03-2010, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Luton wrote:
On 23/03/2010 20:02, Mike Lyle wrote:
sutartsorric wrote:
On 20 Mar, 17:42,
wrote:
[...]

I don't doubt it; but the kind I use (most years, from B&Q growing
bags), though it works, is palpably less than ideal. I consider that a
trifling penalty for lessening the assault on peat bogs, and for
encouraging commercial composting; but our enquirer seems to have been
unlucky.

--
Mike.

Old 24-03-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Paul Luton wrote:
My beef with peat-free growing bags (growbags are my cheap source of
potting material) is that the stuff always seems to be very coarse: I
don't think they compost it for long enough. That might slow down the
root development of your transplants if they're still quite small.

I have just had some petunia seed come up fine on New Horizon growbag
compost.

Oh damn, I've lost the thread where I was going to say what my peat free
grobags are. But if the person who was wanting to know is reading this ...
they are Miracle Gro Organic Choice.

Old 28-03-2010, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Mar 2010 23:49:37 GMT, wrote:

Paul Luton wrote:
My beef with peat-free growing bags (growbags are my cheap source of
potting material) is that the stuff always seems to be very coarse: I
don't think they compost it for long enough. That might slow down the
root development of your transplants if they're still quite small.

I have just had some petunia seed come up fine on New Horizon growbag
compost.

Oh damn, I've lost the thread where I was going to say what my peat free
grobags are. But if the person who was wanting to know is reading this ...
they are Miracle Gro Organic Choice.

I've just bought a bag from Sainsbury's (I was unprepared for my plug plants when they
arrived) and it doesn't say whether it is peat free or not but, boy, is it rubbish! Full
of soft sticks, roots, 6cm long fibres... No soil nor anything fine. I potted up my plants
which is better than nothing but I will go out and buy some better (hopefully) quality
stuff tomorrow.

Kath
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Mar, 21:02, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
sutartsorric wrote:
On 20 Mar, 17:42, "cineman"
wrote:
[...]

I brought some from our local reclamation facility nr Evesham some
years ago. Dug it into veggie patch and, immediatly after, my runner
suffered from beans got infected with a virus that is terminal and
impossible to get rid of. I think professional growers had dumped
diseased plants and they had been composted. I put some on my Lawn and
that got a fungus infection
.. Wont touch the stuff now