Old 23-03-2010, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lazy lawn spiker

"Me Here" wrote in message

"pied piper" wrote in message
totally defeating the object the ride on causes more compaction than u
are relieving

If that was the case why do Golf Courses do this at regular
intervals...... It's called "Aeration" and has little to do with relieving
compaction which is an entirely different technique and utilises the same
tractor usually.

As the Op states elsewhere the width of the tyres. coupled with lower
pressure per square cm leaves little lasting effect on ground that is
already as compacted as it can get with the sward density in it.
Huge difference most golf greens are verti drained these days plus the
attatchment is wider than the width of the tyres which is not the case with
mikes spiker hence he will be driving over where he has already spiked,.

Old 23-03-2010, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote ...
This weekend I have at last got around to doing something I have been
meaning to try for years. We had an old lawn spiker out in the shed that
belonged to my wife's father, I have tried using it but its bloody hard
work, and the lawns here are pretty big but separately in need of
aerating.

Yesterday was wet and miserable so I disappeared into the workshop with
the old spiker and dug out my Whitworth spanners (that's how old it is) A
couple of hours and a couple of bits of scrap steel later I had a bracket
welded up to mount the spiker on the back of the ride on mower.

http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10688

I have put it to the test today by spiking all the lawns and it works
really well.

I think the neighbours wondered what I was up to though. Trundling up and
down for an hour on what probably looked like a lawn mower without the
blades running!

Now you need to brush sand into the holes!
Back to the workshop? :-)

Isn't this a job which need doing after hollow tining ?

Bill

Can be done after spiking or hollow or slit tining or any time just for
the hell of it.
--
hugh

Towed lawn aerator / spiker johno Lawns 3 07-10-2008 12:33 AM
Lazy Man Needs Help With Annuals AuralFeast Gardening 1 15-05-2004 08:04 AM
2 lazy spikes! Claude Orchids 3 03-12-2003 11:12 AM
Organic is King. The public shun fat, lazy farming practice in their droves. LordSnooty United Kingdom 3 07-11-2003 01:12 PM
Help a Lazy Ponder Out? BenignVanilla Ponds 6 04-02-2003 03:02 PM