Old 22-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered User

Default Pruning climbing rose

Hi - I have a two year old rose climbing over an arch in my garden. Due to arrival of child #2 last summer, the rose didn't get any sort of attention after flowering and is now a bit of a mess. Can I cut it right back now and train it a bit better, or is it better to just lightly prune and deal with it properly in the autumn?
Many thanks!
(A slightly clueless!) Kathryn
Old 23-03-2010, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
Kathryn Mac

Go for it.
Nothing wrong with pruning now. Many people would rather prune in the
spring
David Hill
Old 23-03-2010, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:59:48 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On 22 Mar, 15:49, Kathryn Mac
wrote:
Hi - I have a two year old rose climbing over an arch in my garden. Due
to arrival of child #2 last summer, the rose didn't get any sort of
attention after flowering and is now a bit of a mess. Can I cut it right
back now and train it a bit better, or is it better to just lightly
prune and deal with it properly in the autumn?
Many thanks!
(A slightly clueless!) Kathryn

--
Kathryn Mac

Go for it.
Nothing wrong with pruning now. Many people would rather prune in the
spring
David Hill

I had three rambling roses, 8-9 years old which were overgrown and
scraggly and taking over the wrought ironwork on top of my end garden
wall.
In November I sawed them off at about 10" from ground level,

One died

The other two are breaking out and sprouting vigorously,

--

Pruning a neglected climbing rose. Janet Conroy United Kingdom 1 09-11-2008 11:36 AM
Climbing rose - White-rose.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 5 12-04-2008 06:30 PM
Pruning climbing roses HH Gardening 3 11-02-2006 07:08 PM
Pruning Climbing Roses Jackie D Roses 2 10-12-2005 07:05 PM
Pruning Climbing Roses Blom2229 Roses 1 20-06-2003 04:22 PM