Old 26-03-2010, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default NT allotment abandoned

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7479776/National-Trust-allotment-hailed-by-Monty-Don-falls-into-disrepair.html:

The charity created the allotment in the back garden of its
Westminster headquarters amid great fanfare last Spring.

A year on with nobody bothering to tend it, the allotment is now
an eyesore covered in rotting leaves.

A Trust employee admitted: "We did have an allotment but now its
buried under leaves. No-one had the time to look after it."

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 27-03-2010, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:40:24 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:26:21 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The charity created the allotment in the back garden of its
Westminster headquarters amid great fanfare last Spring.

A year on with nobody bothering to tend it, the allotment is now
an eyesore covered in rotting leaves.

A Trust employee admitted: "We did have an allotment but now its
buried under leaves. No-one had the time to look after it."

Chris

URL should be
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7479776/National-Trust-allotment-hailed-by-Monty-Don-falls-into-disrepair.html

You had added a colon. )

It would also appear that no one at the telegraph had time to go and
photograph it.
;-/

--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 27-03-2010, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 27 Mar, 17:32, mogga wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:40:24 +0100, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:26:21 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The charity created the allotment in the back garden of its
Westminster headquarters amid great fanfare last Spring.

A year on with nobody bothering to tend it, the allotment is now
an eyesore covered in rotting leaves.

A Trust employee admitted: "We did have an allotment but now its
buried under leaves. No-one had the time to look after it."

Chris

URL should be
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7479776/National-Trust-all....

You had added a colon. )

It would also appear that *no one at the telegraph had time to go and
photograph it.
;-/

--http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

I think it might be an idea to plant fruit trees then the staff there
in the autumn would just have ti pick.
They could get someone in from the Royal Parks to prune one day a year.
Old 27-03-2010, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, the National Trust often seems to have money coming
out of its ears, so we should probably heap contempt and derision on
them for perpetrating a paltry publicity stunt with no proper plan to
perpetuate it. Every year, I forget to cancel my subscription, and I bet
I'm not the only contributor out of sheer inefficiency. I'd actually
rather give my money to Save The Children or something like that; but do
I actually _do_ something about it? Do I buggery!

--
Mike.

Old 27-03-2010, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-27 19:28:12 +0000, "Mike Lyle"
said:

wrote:

[...]

I know it seems like a piece of large, creaking machinery at times but
if you read the history of its foundation, we have a lot to be
thankful for with regard to the NT. James Lees-Milne's Diaries are a
good example of what we would have lost without it. The exhbition Roy
Strong staged at the V&A in his early days there actually did show
what had been lost already. I believe itwas The Loss of the Country
Houses or something of that sort. What was pulled down and lost
forever is appalling, IMO.

Oh, I'm not saying the Trust shouldn't exist: they do some great work.
But that allotment thing was either a cynical media gimmick or a
complete failure of project management in what must have been the
smallest and easiest project they'd ever undertaken.

--
Mike.

Old 28-03-2010, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

I agree that it wouldn't have taken much gumption to get that piece of
land into production. The idea is a good one but someone does actually
have to pick up a spade!
--
Sacha

(Pruned as others should have done)

"Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, And Nobody"

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody,
and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody
would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that
Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody
could have done it

Kind regards

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 28-03-2010, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-27 23:29:31 +0000, "Mike Lyle"
said:

A Trust employee admitted: "We did have an allotment but now its
buried under leaves. No-one had the time to look after it."

Strong staged at the V&A in his early days there actually did show
what had been lost already. I believe itwas The Loss of the Country
Houses or something of that sort. What was pulled down and lost
forever is appalling, IMO.

Oh, I'm not saying the Trust shouldn't exist: they do some great work.
But that allotment thing was either a cynical media gimmick or a
complete failure of project management in what must have been the
smallest and easiest project they'd ever undertaken.

I agree that it wouldn't have taken much gumption to get that piece of
land into production. The idea is a good one but someone does actually
have to pick up a spade!

Yep. Why bother when you can buy all your veg in Asda with no effort at all?
(not my take, btw) but it's so easy.
Tina

(

Old 29-03-2010, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:28:12 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

On the other hand, the National Trust often seems to have money coming
out of its ears, so we should probably heap contempt and derision on
them for perpetrating a paltry publicity stunt with no proper plan to
perpetuate it. Every year, I forget to cancel my subscription, and I bet
I'm not the only contributor out of sheer inefficiency. I'd actually
rather give my money to Save The Children or something like that; but do
I actually _do_ something about it? Do I buggery!

GIve time to local charities. If you see the waste some of them make
you'd probably stop giving all together.