Old 14-10-2003, 03:32 AM
occupant

Default found abandoned distressed snake plant - help.

Recently found a couple of abandoned plants that are doing ok. Today I
found a distressed looking plant with the store tag on it saying it is a
snake plant. It has green 1 1/2 inch wide leaves. The plant is about 1
1/2 feet tall. The leaves are somewhat sagging but not totally flopped
over - sort of the leaning tower of Pisa. Any advise to keep it alive
or get the leaves to sort of stand at attention or look alive. I am not
a plant person per se but when I see plants abandoned by tenants of
apartment buildings I take them in. I thought of letting it dry out a
bit and being indoors as opposed to outdoors by a dumpster on the
southern Canadian Pacific Coast might help. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Old 14-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Jim W

occupant wrote:

Recently found a couple of abandoned plants that are doing ok. Today I
found a distressed looking plant with the store tag on it saying it is a
snake plant. It has green 1 1/2 inch wide leaves. The plant is about 1
1/2 feet tall. The leaves are somewhat sagging but not totally flopped
over - sort of the leaning tower of Pisa. Any advise to keep it alive
or get the leaves to sort of stand at attention or look alive. I am not
a plant person per se but when I see plants abandoned by tenants of
apartment buildings I take them in. I thought of letting it dry out a
bit and being indoors as opposed to outdoors by a dumpster on the
southern Canadian Pacific Coast might help. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Llok up Snake plant on google and you will find information such as the
addy below,

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...ria_trifasciat
a.html

Basically you are doing the right thing.. Not ususally a lot you can do
about flopped leaves in my experience other than plant guides/stakes to
hold them up. New leaves should grow erect but it is slow growing if its
the common type used in offices.

Drying it out should be OK as they do not like a lot of water.

Then mebbe repot in a nice pot of your choice with a medium compost and
a bit of sand mixed in.
//
Jim
Old 14-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:30:18 GMT, occupant
wrote:

Recently found a couple of abandoned plants that are doing ok. Today I
found a distressed looking plant with the store tag on it saying it is a
snake plant. It has green 1 1/2 inch wide leaves. The plant is about 1
1/2 feet tall. The leaves are somewhat sagging but not totally flopped
over - sort of the leaning tower of Pisa. Any advise to keep it alive
or get the leaves to sort of stand at attention or look alive. I am not
a plant person per se but when I see plants abandoned by tenants of
apartment buildings I take them in. I thought of letting it dry out a
bit and being indoors as opposed to outdoors by a dumpster on the
southern Canadian Pacific Coast might help. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Your plant may be too far gone. Snakeplants survive quite well in
low-light and minimal water conditions, so it'd take a lot of stress
to make one sick. You *can* make new plants by cutting a leaf into
1-1/2"-2" horizontal slices and inserting one edge into a moist
potting medium. At any rate, bringing indoors and giving water only
when the soil is dry may revive it.

This site appears to have good information:

http://www.emilycompost.com/snake_plant.htm

[IMG] code is On

PLEASE HELP: Is this a typical garden snake? It was found in our kitchen this morning. James Garden Photos 15 21-08-2007 05:45 AM
Please help! ...trying to revive an abandoned bonsai Paul Bonsai 2 07-06-2006 12:18 PM
Distressed Goldfish Bill Oertell Ponds 17 07-12-2004 04:36 AM
Distressed Goldfish Bill Oertell Ponds 0 30-11-2004 05:18 AM
Fertilizing distressed St Augustine Tom Harris Gardening 1 09-04-2004 03:02 AM