Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please

Please help settle a domestic argument/discussion.

See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33497416@N06/4483400749/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33497416@N06/4483400611/

They're actually in a vase.

Thanks.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...
Gopher said:

Please help settle a domestic argument/discussion.

See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33497416@N06/4483400749/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33497416@N06/4483400611/

They're actually in a vase.

Thanks.

Alstroemeria but I don't know which one. They're a good cut flower and
last a long time in a vase and are also known as Peruvian lilies You more
usually see them in orange and sometimes in a sort of creamy pale yellow.
I really like the species one, Alstromeria pulchella.

Excellent garden plants too, already making good growth in our garden so
quite hardy too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote...
Gopher said:

Please help settle a domestic argument/discussion.

See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33497416@N06/4483400749/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33497416@N06/4483400611/

They're actually in a vase.

Thanks.

Alstroemeria but I don't know which one. They're a good cut flower
and last a long time in a vase and are also known as Peruvian lilies
You more usually see them in orange and sometimes in a sort of creamy
pale yellow. I really like the species one, Alstromeria pulchella.

Excellent garden plants too, already making good growth in our garden
so quite hardy too.

Many thanks to both of you. I had Peruvian Lily and Chris knew it began
with an "A" but couldn't find/fully recall it. So I guess we were both
right..... and we have a couple in the garden. Another couple of senior
gardening moments!

I agree Sacha - the A. pulchella is very beautiful; most exotic.

Thanks again .... any thoughts on my posting on Echinacea seeds? I'd
hate to think I'm wasting space in our very packed greenhouse.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-04-02 15:26:39 +0100, Gopher said:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Sacha" wrote...
Gopher said:

[...]

Dammit - sorry. I keep meaning to ask Ray about that. I'll try to
kick my memory into touch next time he comes back into the house. He
buys the seed in but otherwise the principle must be the same.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5262672_plan...wer-seeds.html

Apparently Echinacea seeds need cold treatment. I would also wonder
whether the seeds from hybrid Echinacea are always viable.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-04-02 15:26:39 +0100, Gopher said:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Sacha" wrote...
Gopher said:

[...]

I read so much information from a number of websites, some speak of the
need for stratification, others indicate the difficulty experienced in
getting germination to take place, yet more suggest how easy it is ...
just let the seeds fall and they will germinate and the one I remembered
best (but cannot now find!) was that which suggested the method I have
followed. I guess we have nothing to lose if we just let the seed tray
carry on going its own way for a few weeks. I take your point about
hybrid seeds being viable - I wondered about that but decided to go
ahead. However, I'm comforted in the knowledge that propagation can be
carried out by division and/or root cuttings. We may have to resort to
that next autumn.

Many thanks.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!