Old 04-04-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ash before oak?

Do flowers count? The oaks here in Normandy are nowhere near bursting,
but have noticed an ash putting out those big black flowers.

Somehow it seems like a normal, wet summer would be a good thing.

-E
Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

Do flowers count? The oaks here in Normandy are nowhere near bursting,
but have noticed an ash putting out those big black flowers.

Somehow it seems like a normal, wet summer would be a good thing.

-E

I think it refers to the appearance of the leaves.

Hoping that the dear old met office will forecast a wet summer this
year, so we can have a nice one!

Roger T
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RogerT" wrote in message
.uk...
The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

Do flowers count? The oaks here in Normandy are nowhere near bursting,
but have noticed an ash putting out those big black flowers.

Somehow it seems like a normal, wet summer would be a good thing.

-E

I think it refers to the appearance of the leaves.

Hoping that the dear old met office will forecast a wet summer this
year, so we can have a nice one!

Roger T

Haven't they been forecasting a 'BBQ Summer'?

;-(

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Apr, 09:06, "'Mike'" wrote:
"RogerT" wrote in message

.uk...

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

Do flowers count? *The oaks here in Normandy are nowhere near bursting,
but have noticed an ash putting out those big black flowers.

Somehow it seems like a normal, wet summer would be a good thing.

-E

I think it refers to the appearance of the leaves.

Hoping that the dear old met office will forecast a wet summer this
year, so we can have a nice one!

Roger T

Haven't they been forecasting a 'BBQ Summer'?

;-(

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Didnt some botanist prove the Ash always comes before the Oak, because
the Ash responds to temperature while the Oak uses day length?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from sutartsorric contains these words:

Didnt some botanist prove the Ash always comes before the Oak, because
the Ash responds to temperature while the Oak uses day length?

Given the low temperatures we've been having, I would have thought that
the oak would win. Thinking about it further, if this was the case,
surely in the frozen north, where day length gets longer than in the
south, the oak would always win!

Roger T