Old 21-04-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendron Suppliers in the North East, UK

"Norwood" wrote in
message ...

Hi

I'm looking to buy one/possibly two Rhododendrons for
the front of my
garden. Will go into a large pot and replace a
conifer. I'm looking
for instant privacy though and trying to find a
rather large specimen
now for it to grow on to 5-6ft. Apart from your
Dobbies and Wyvale I
can't find a supplier up here. Found Penton Mill in
Carlisle but their
number is unavailable - wonder if they no longer
trade? Closest I can
find is Glendoick in Perth - 3 hour drive from
Newcastle.

Any suggested places? Would rather visit than order
online but may find
I have no choice.

I'm surprised you're having difficulty contacting
Penton Mill, their website is still active
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2e2omfh

RHS Plantfinder 2003 also lists-
Hartside Nursery, Nr Alston Cumbria, tel 01434 381372.
Larch Cottage Nurseries, Penrith, Cumbria 01931 712404.
Weasdale Nurseries, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria 01539
623246.
Holden Clouch Nursery, Clitheroe Lancs, 01200 447615.

Keep trying with Penton, they seem to stock more
varieties than anyone in the country.

Bertie

Old 27-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Registered User

Smile

****************

Hi, Thanks for the reply. the link does not work and the telephone number listed is unavailable. Penton seems to not exist anymore and I travelled 3 hours to somewhere that, if I am right in thinking, bought Penton??? Anyway their rhodies were totally not suitable, most of them looked dead to me. When I get over the fact I wasted 6 hours driving I might visit Larch Cottage :-) Thanks for your help
Old 27-04-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 27 Apr, 10:46, Norwood wrote:
Bertie Doe;884387 Wrote:

"Norwood" wrote in
...-

-

I'm surprised you're having difficulty contacting
Penton Mill, their website is still active
'TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL'

--
Norwood- Hide quoted text -

Why rhodos?
They dont like drying out and in pots in a hot summer they are easy to
loose.
Why not try Holly, some good variegated forms.
David Hill