Old 25-04-2010, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coffee

I was given a coffee growing kit for a present. That is, a small pot,
some compost and two coffee beans. I planted the beans about 2cm deep
and have been keeping the compost moist as per the instructions. After
three weeks there is no sign of life. How long do coffee beans take to
germinate?

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.
Old 25-04-2010, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I was given a coffee growing kit for a present. That is, a small pot,
some compost and two coffee beans. I planted the beans about 2cm deep
and have been keeping the compost moist as per the instructions. After
three weeks there is no sign of life. How long do coffee beans take to
germinate?

Don't know, but I'd guess it's a lot longer than three weeks.

--
Rusty
Old 26-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wolstenholme View Post
I was given a coffee growing kit for a present. That is, a small pot,
some compost and two coffee beans. I planted the beans about 2cm deep
and have been keeping the compost moist as per the instructions. After
three weeks there is no sign of life. How long do coffee beans take to
germinate?
About 10 weeks according to this. Possibly up to 6 months if it is a dried seed. Growing Coffee Beans at Home
They sound about as easy (ie, not) as citrus plants for UK cultivation.

You can buy green coffee beans quite easily these days, at least by mail order. Hasbean is a reputable supplier. Trying to germinate just two beans seems a rather high risk of disappointment given that germination seems less than assured. But maybe they supplied you with fresh cherries that have a higher germination rate. There have been things that I've tried to germinate and got just a couple of plants from a hundred seeds.

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
FS Ye Old Coffee Shop |-|erc Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 12:22 AM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM