Old 26-04-2010, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Asprin

I don't know how many remember me posting a couple of years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear virus from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.
Old 26-04-2010, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote...
I don't know how many remember me posting a couple of years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear virus from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.

Does it only work for virus infections or would it ward off Peach Leaf Curl
or Downy Mildew for example?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-04-2010, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in
message
I don't know how many remember me posting a couple of
years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear virus
from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought
soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

If we get another damp Summer, i wonder if it will work
on potato or tomato blight?
That's quite a low dilution rate Dave - "3 asprin into
4 gallons of water". At that rate it's worth trying.

Bertie

Old 27-04-2010, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I don't know how many remember me posting a couple of years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear virus from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

If we get another damp Summer, i wonder if it will work on potato or
tomato blight?
That's quite a low dilution rate Dave - "3 asprin into 4 gallons of
water". At that rate it's worth trying.

Bertie

Probably quite useful if the plant has a headache ?

Old 27-04-2010, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

john hamilton wrote:
Probably quite useful if the plant has a headache ?

My mum used to pop half an aspirin into the little bottle of water she would
get a birthday "orchid" in. It was alleged to make it last longer. Then
one time it killed it straight off, and she stopped doing it.

Actually, I suspect she doesn't get boxed orchids very often now, too.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article d8b2fab7-572a-4cb2-b1ad-
,
says...
I don't know how many remember me posting a couple of years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear virus from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Thanks for that link David, very interesting.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 27-04-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:24:31 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 27 Apr 2010 10:56:41 GMT, wrote:

john hamilton wrote:
Probably quite useful if the plant has a headache ?

My mum used to pop half an aspirin into the little bottle of water she would
get a birthday "orchid" in. It was alleged to make it last longer. Then
one time it killed it straight off, and she stopped doing it.

Actually, I suspect she doesn't get boxed orchids very often now, too.

and no longer believes that an aspirin can be used as a contraceptive.

It is if she holds it clamped tightly between her thighs.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 27-04-2010, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

john hamilton wrote:
Probably quite useful if the plant has a headache ?

My mum used to pop half an aspirin into the little bottle of water she would
get a birthday "orchid" in. It was alleged to make it last longer. Then
one time it killed it straight off, and she stopped doing it.

Actually, I suspect she doesn't get boxed orchids very often now, too.

and no longer believes that an aspirin can be used as a contraceptive.

It is if she holds it clamped tightly between her thighs.

knees surely?
)

Possibly,
But some wimmin are bandy and might find your option difficult.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 27-04-2010, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
news

and no longer believes that an aspirin can be used as a contraceptive.

It is if she holds it clamped tightly between her thighs.

knees surely?
)

Possibly,
But some wimmin are bandy and might find your option difficult.

Either way, is this a 'Morning after' pill? ;-)

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 27-04-2010, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

john hamilton wrote:
Probably quite useful if the plant has a headache ?

My mum used to pop half an aspirin into the little bottle of water she would
get a birthday "orchid" in. It was alleged to make it last longer. Then
one time it killed it straight off, and she stopped doing it.

Actually, I suspect she doesn't get boxed orchids very often now, too.

and no longer believes that an aspirin can be used as a contraceptive.

It is if she holds it clamped tightly between her thighs.

knees surely?
)

Possibly,
But some wimmin are bandy and might find your option difficult.

Are you calling Vicky's mum bandy?

It's just a stage they go through.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say
may be misquoted and used against you.

Old 27-04-2010, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
I don't know how many remember me posting a couple of years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear virus from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.

I don't think aspirin is really soluble, though: that's why they now
label it "dispersible" instead. I see from the article that she used
dimethyl sulfoxide, which I'd never heard of, as a solvent: it's much
harder to get stuff here than in the US, but somebody will know if it's
OK and obtainable...

--
Mike.

Old 27-04-2010, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote
in message
Dave Hill wrote:
I don't know how many remember me posting a couple
of years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear
virus from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought
soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.

I don't think aspirin is really soluble, though:
that's why they now label it "dispersible" instead. I
see from the article that she used dimethyl
sulfoxide, which I'd never heard of, as a solvent:
it's much harder to get stuff here than in the US,
but somebody will know if it's OK and obtainable...

Sold as DSMO, got some hits on fleabay. Expensive
stuff, unless the dilution rates are high??
Ebay = http://preview.tinyurl.com/32pz4tf

Old 28-04-2010, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 27 Apr, 23:03, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote
in ...

Dave Hill wrote:
I don't know how many remember me posting a couple
of years ago about
a customer who said he had used asprin to clear
virus from a few of
his plants.
I keep meaning to try it but despite having bought
soluable asprin a
couple of times I keep forgeting.
Well I came across this article today.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/
I must remember to try it.

I don't think aspirin is really soluble, though:
that's why they now label it "dispersible" instead. I
see from the article that she used dimethyl
sulfoxide, which I'd never heard of, as a solvent:
it's much harder to get stuff here than in the US,
but somebody will know if it's OK and obtainable...

Sold as DSMO, got some hits on fleabay. Expensive
stuff, unless the dilution rates are high??
Ebay =http://preview.tinyurl.com/32pz4tf- Hide quoted text -

I should think that you could disolve the asprin in a small amount of
DSMO then dilute that down to the required strength.
David Hill
Old 28-04-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in
message
On 27 Apr, 23:03, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:
Sold as DSMO, got some hits on fleabay. Expensive
stuff, unless the dilution rates are high??
Ebay = http://preview.tinyurl.com/32pz4tf

I should think that you could disolve the asprin in a
small amount of
DSMO then dilute that down to the required strength.

Thanks David, last year I used some organic 'Viresco
foliar'. It's quite dilute at 5g per litre. No joy,
still got blight in spuds, virus in g/house toms. This
year I'll try Viresco and asprin. If it doesn't work,
next year it's going to be DSMO and asprin.

Bertie

Old 28-04-2010, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Apr, 13:26, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in
message

On 27 Apr, 23:03, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:
Sold as DSMO, got some hits on fleabay. Expensive
stuff, unless the dilution rates are high??
Ebay =http://preview.tinyurl.com/32pz4tf

I should think that you could disolve the asprin in a
small amount of
DSMO then dilute that down to the required strength.

Thanks David, last year I used some organic 'Viresco
foliar'. It's quite dilute at 5g per litre. No joy,
still got blight in spuds, virus in g/house toms. This
year I'll try Viresco and asprin. If it doesn't work,
next year it's going to be DSMO and asprin.

Bertie

+Looks as if you can displve asprin in ethyl alcohol, you would then
dilute it down to the required strength/dilution.
David Hill