Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with apple tree

Martin Brown wrote:
Mike Buckley wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Mike Buckley wrote:
/family tree/

Probably not a bad idea, but I've not seen any for sale. Local place
(Wheatcroft, a part of Nottcutts) only has straight trees and that's
the main garden place around here, I can't see B&Q having any in.

Notcutts have family trees - I had one with three grafts from them.
Unless it's container grown, it's really too late to plant one now.

All the ones I looked at were container grown.

Bare rooted are cheaper from proper nurseries like Deacons eg
http://shop.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/apples-15-c.asp

That is where I got my fruit trees from.

Not if you buy now - assuming you can get one.

A bare-rooted tree planted now is unlikely to thrive and may very well
die, then you have to wait another nine months and buy another one.

--
Rusty
Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-05-01 18:42:46 +0100, Rusty Hinge
said:

Martin Brown wrote:
Mike Buckley wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Mike Buckley wrote:
/family tree/

Probably not a bad idea, but I've not seen any for sale. Local
place (Wheatcroft, a part of Nottcutts) only has straight trees
and that's the main garden place around here, I can't see B&Q having any in.
Notcutts have family trees - I had one with three grafts from
them. Unless it's container grown, it's really too late to plant

All the ones I looked at were container grown.
Bare rooted are cheaper from proper nurseries like Deacons eg
http://shop.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/apples-15-c.asp
That is where I got my fruit trees from.

Not if you buy now - assuming you can get one.
A bare-rooted tree planted now is unlikely to thrive and may very
well die, then you have to wait another nine months and buy another
one.

Absolutely right. It's far to late for bare rooted plants so please
don't be persuaded into buying them now.

They don't look particularly cheap to me either.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2