Old 05-05-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Too late to sow dahlia seeds ?

Hi,
I found a packet of unopened dahlia seeds in the garden shed and was
wondering is it too late to sow some in tray to germinate in a few
weeks and maybe flower for late summer / autumn ? I read that Feb /
Mar is the best time to sow the seeds but as dahlias have a prolonged
and late flowering period could i get away with sowing some now ?

thanks !
UC
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 May, 17:26, Uncle-C wrote:
Hi,
I found a packet of unopened dahlia seeds in the garden shed and was
wondering is it too late to sow some in tray to germinate in a few
weeks and maybe flower for late summer / autumn ? I read that Feb /
Mar is the best time to sow the seeds but as dahlias have a prolonged
and late flowering period could i get away with sowing some *now ?

thanks !
UC

Yes. Sow ASAP, they should germinate 7 to 10 days, when they have 2 or
3 true leaves pot into 3" pots.
You dont say what kind of Dahlias they are.
Alternativly you can keep the seed till next year, it keeps well, and
some people reckon it does better 2nd year.
David Hill
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 5 May 2010 09:26:26 -0700 (PDT), Uncle-C
wrote:

Hi,
I found a packet of unopened dahlia seeds in the garden shed and was
wondering is it too late to sow some in tray to germinate in a few
weeks and maybe flower for late summer / autumn ? I read that Feb /
Mar is the best time to sow the seeds but as dahlias have a prolonged
and late flowering period could i get away with sowing some now ?

I sowed some yesterday! Good luck.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 May, 09:08, Pam Moore wrote:

I sowed some yesterday! *Good luck.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam. I sowed them yesterday, said a silent prayer and hoped
for the best !

@ Dave.

The seeds were a mixed batch of Johnson's annuals that I had picked up
on the cheap at the end of last years planting season.

UC
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
I found a packet of unopened dahlia seeds in the garden shed and was
wondering is it too late to sow some in tray to germinate in a few
weeks and maybe flower for late summer / autumn ? I read that Feb /
Mar is the best time to sow the seeds but as dahlias have a prolonged
and late flowering period could i get away with sowing some now ?

I sowed some yesterday! Good luck.

Aww, I found a packet earlier this week and thought about it, then decided
to save them cos it was a bit late. I probably should have given it a go.
:-/

I've got black eyed susan that I planted late, did that last year and they
didn't get very far, but I think they needed more TLC.

And I /must/ do my beans this week! Everyone else's seem to be about a foot
high already!!