Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More conflicting advice

Been on the allotment today and pulled a
few sticks of rhubarb, cut off the leaves and
threw onto the compost heap.
I have since been told that I shouldn't compost
the leaves as they are poisonous.
Other allotment holders have said that it will not
cause a problem.
Not knowing what advice to listen to, I turn to
your good selves in here.
Comments please.

Wally

Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Wally wrote:
Been on the allotment today and pulled a
few sticks of rhubarb, cut off the leaves and
threw onto the compost heap.
I have since been told that I shouldn't compost
the leaves as they are poisonous.
Other allotment holders have said that it will not
cause a problem.

I've been composting ours, having read (either here on a link posted here
previously) that they aer ok to compost.
(but yes, they are poisonous. Don't feed them to your pet rabbit, or put
them in a salad - as a German friend's mum apparently does!)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 May 2010 21:57:01 +0100, "Wally"
wrote:

Been on the allotment today and pulled a
few sticks of rhubarb, cut off the leaves and
threw onto the compost heap.
I have since been told that I shouldn't compost
the leaves as they are poisonous.
Other allotment holders have said that it will not
cause a problem.
Not knowing what advice to listen to, I turn to
your good selves in here.
Comments please.

Wally

We have composted ours for years, never a problem.
Of course you should always have a good mix of ingredients in the
heap.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Baraclough View Post

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous to people, if you eat them. They are not
poisonous to compost heaps;
I always sling them in (and flower buds) and my compost heaps haven't
died . Far from it,
just in the middle of emptying one, fabulous rich black crumbly stuff..

Janet
A large proportion of what you put on your compost heap is poisonous to people. I'm with Janet on this - rhubarb leaves make lovely compost.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you all for your comments, so into
the compost it goes.

Wally

Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wally wrote:
Been on the allotment today and pulled a
few sticks of rhubarb, cut off the leaves and
threw onto the compost heap.
I have since been told that I shouldn't compost
the leaves as they are poisonous.

You shouldn't eat the leaves because they contain oxalic acid which is
poisonous. But the compost heap doesn't care. Same for foxgloves and
delphiniums and lots of othe toxic plants.

Other allotment holders have said that it will not
cause a problem.
Not knowing what advice to listen to, I turn to
your good selves in here.
Comments please.

The big leaves of rhubarb are quite useful for keeping moisture in the
heap during dry spells.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Let the kiddies play with the leaves first (After explaining that the
are not edible). Use them as Rhubarb hats for a while and then into the
compost heap with them - the leaves, not the kiddies g

Always compost my rhubarb leaves. As someone said, they keep the
moisture in during dry spells.

--
Compo
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Simonite wrote in
:

Let the kiddies play with the leaves first (After explaining that the
are not edible). Use them as Rhubarb hats for a while and then into the
compost heap with them - the leaves, not the kiddies g

Always compost my rhubarb leaves. As someone said, they keep the
moisture in during dry spells.

A neighbour of mine composts EVERYTHING from the house and garden,
including disposable nappies, un-eaten food from the table, bird corpes
which his cat killed, cardboard, paper, as well as the rhubarb leaves.

He buries it in rotation and you should see his broad beans and potatoes.

I know someone is going to say thats the best way to get a rat infestation
but I havnt seen any and neither has my neighbour.

OK its not a compost heap but it IS composting in the most robust way.

Could I have your views please as I am thinking of doing a similar thing.

Kindest regards
PtePike
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

PtePike wrote:
including disposable nappies,

Someone pointed out recently that a disposable nappy is the best source of
"water retaining gel" you can get.

Old 22-05-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PtePike" wrote in message
Paul Simonite wrote in
:

Let the kiddies play with the leaves first (After explaining that the
are not edible). Use them as Rhubarb hats for a while and then into the
compost heap with them - the leaves, not the kiddies g

Always compost my rhubarb leaves. As someone said, they keep the
moisture in during dry spells.

A neighbour of mine composts EVERYTHING from the house and garden,
including disposable nappies, un-eaten food from the table, bird corpes
which his cat killed, cardboard, paper, as well as the rhubarb leaves.

He buries it in rotation and you should see his broad beans and potatoes.

I know someone is going to say thats the best way to get a rat infestation
but I havnt seen any and neither has my neighbour.

Anybody who lives in the country has rats, especially if it's a small town
with elderly underground drains. We have a giant compost heap onto which we
throw everything, and yes, we all have rats hereabouts, but our cat
dispatches the ones in our garden quickly, sometimes two juveniles a day for
a week then they're gone.

The heap has been going for 30 years, we mine it from the bottom and it
produces marvellous compost.

On the allotment, all the rhubarb leaves go in to that pile along with other
vegetation. It all breaks down quite quickly and makes good compost too.

someone

Old 23-05-2010, 09:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtePike View Post
A neighbour of mine composts EVERYTHING from the house and garden,
including disposable nappies, un-eaten food from the table, bird corpes
which his cat killed, cardboard, paper, as well as the rhubarb leaves.

He buries it in rotation and you should see his broad beans and potatoes.

I know someone is going to say thats the best way to get a rat infestation
but I havnt seen any and neither has my neighbour.

OK its not a compost heap but it IS composting in the most robust way.

Could I have your views please as I am thinking of doing a similar thing.
I wouldn't compost nappies because of the faeces (no problem with water retaining gel and urine.

But everything else goes in. In winter, our compost heap is mainly paper and cardboard, seasoned with veg peelings (we don't have uneaten food from the table), but it all breaks down into beautiful compost, and over the years the soil in the garden has improved immensely in texture as a result. I don't bother to dig it in, just leave it on top in a 6inch layer and let the worms do the rest.

Sellotape and those little windows in envelopes don't rot down, and are easier to remove before composting. And fruit juice cartons and flour bags have plastic linings which don't rot, so are best kept off the heap.

Rats' preferred food is grain, so I don't think adding cooked food is going to increase your problems.