Old 17-05-2010, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flies in compost bin

Is there any simple solution to this?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 17-05-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

Is there any simple solution to this?

Why is it a problem?

My thoughts exactly.

Tina

Old 17-05-2010, 09:53 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Murphy View Post
Is there any simple solution to this?

--
What sort of flies? Little gnat-type things or blowflies?
Old 18-05-2010, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 May, 12:07, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Is there any simple solution to this?

Previous discussions have concluded that they're part of the process.
Just remember to stand back and keep your mouth closed when opening
the lid. Enterprising spiders build webs in mine, but don't seem to
reduce the number significantly.

Chris
Old 18-05-2010, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:

Timothy Murphy;887518 Wrote:
Is there any simple solution to this?

What sort of flies? Little gnat-type things or blowflies?

They are very small.
The worms in my compost seem very to have disappeared,
or at least hidden themselves.
I'm thinking of getting more from an angling shop ...

Old 18-05-2010, 03:51 PM
kay kay is offline

kay wrote:

Timothy Murphy;887518 Wrote:
Is there any simple solution to this?

What sort of flies? Little gnat-type things or blowflies?

They are very small.
The worms in my compost seem very to have disappeared,
or at least hidden themselves.
I'm thinking of getting more from an angling shop ...
The small flies aren't a problem to the process, just a bit irritating to you. They're quite harmless - they won't bite or sting. They're usually fruit flies which live on rotting fruit etc, or they could be fungus gnats which have larvae which live on rotting vegetation. I don't know of a way to get rid of them. I don't have a problem with my open air bins.

If the worms have disappeared, it's because the conditions aren't suitable (eg too dry) so any replacements will also disappear. You need to get the conditions right first.
Old 18-05-2010, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
The small flies aren't a problem to the process, just a bit irritating
to you. They're quite harmless - they won't bite or sting. They're
usually fruit flies

Someone told me recently that fruit flies do bite. I told him I'm not a
banana. Anyone know if it's true? (either that they bite or that I'm a
banana)
Old 18-05-2010, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
kay wrote:
The small flies aren't a problem to the process, just a bit irritating
to you. They're quite harmless - they won't bite or sting. They're
usually fruit flies

Someone told me recently that fruit flies do bite. I told him I'm not a
banana. Anyone know if it's true? (either that they bite or that I'm a
banana)

You're not a banana, but he may be. They don't bite animals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.