Old 15-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Dani

Default Nematodes to control fruit flies in compost bin?

I have a problem with a fruit fly infestation in my plastic compost
bin. We have managed to keep them out of the house, but our next door
neighbours have not been so lucky, and we need to get rid of them
quickly.

From reading around the web, I have gathered that I need to dig in any

food waste when I add it to the bin, and to cover the top of the heap
with soil/leaves/thin layer of newspaper. I also have some ideas for
making traps.

For the moment, we have covered the top of the heap with a layer of
compost and some leaves on top of that, and we are going to stop
putting food in it for a few days.

But I have also read that some people have had success using nematodes,
and I am having trouble finding out which product would be used for
this, and where to buy it in the UK. Does anyone have any experience
of using nematodes to control fruit flies in a compost bin or wormery?
Or any other proven tips for getting rid of them?

Thanks in advance,

Dani

Old 16-10-2005, 01:25 AM
MrBlueSkye

"Dani" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a problem with a fruit fly infestation in my plastic compost
bin. We have managed to keep them out of the house, but our next door
neighbours have not been so lucky, and we need to get rid of them
quickly.

From reading around the web, I have gathered that I need to dig in any

food waste when I add it to the bin, and to cover the top of the heap
with soil/leaves/thin layer of newspaper. I also have some ideas for
making traps.

For the moment, we have covered the top of the heap with a layer of
compost and some leaves on top of that, and we are going to stop
putting food in it for a few days.

But I have also read that some people have had success using nematodes,
and I am having trouble finding out which product would be used for
this, and where to buy it in the UK. Does anyone have any experience
of using nematodes to control fruit flies in a compost bin or wormery?
Or any other proven tips for getting rid of them?

Thanks in advance,

Dani

1/2" Layer of any kind of sand, and leave undisturbed for 10 days

Old 17-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Paul D.Smith

Can you move the compost bin? Mine is far enough away that the flies don't
make it into the house. I also have a vague memory that a very acidic heap
attracts flies. Perhaps you should try adding a little lime periodically.

Paul DS.

Old 19-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered User

This was a longtime ago I know, but....
I have lots of plants on my balcony and I control the fungus gnats (the small flies) with the nemotode Heterorhabditis. My soil was crawling qwith flies, i ordered the nemotodes from a garden shop, watered them in to the soil and few weeks later the number of flies dropped off dramatically.