Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Urine as fertiliser

On 2010-06-06, wrote:

One of the things this country lacks is a local version of the National
Enquirer, to present all of the facts that are too shocking for the
newspapers to print :-)

Like who ate whose hamster?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David in
Normandy writes
Anyone else tried using pee as plant fertiliser?

[snipped]

When I am working in the garden and need a pee, I add it to the compost
heap.

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-06-06 22:56:52 +0100, Martin said:

On 06/06/10 16:05, Sacha wrote:
snip

We have a honeysuckle that has grown a metre vertically unsupported in
the last 8 weeks.

It's just showing off. Of course, it could be a shrubby honeysuckle!

It didn't show any inclination to grow particularly tall in previous
years.

Perhaps last winter has had a good effect on it. We've noticed a few
things that seem to have done especially well this year

Trees and roses in our garde.

despite - or
perhaps because of - the unusually cold winter here. OTOH, things have
been slower to start into growth in some cases. Cannas and Hedychiums
are really getting going now but did seem to sulk for a bit, even in a
tunnel. But e.g. Lonicera maackii flowered so profusely that we almost
wondered how the branches bore the weight of the flowers.

It was the coldest spring on record here. Summer is going the same way.
It is only 15C in Amsterdam at the moment.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-06-06, wrote:

One of the things this country lacks is a local version of the National
Enquirer, to present all of the facts that are too shocking for the
newspapers to print :-)

Like who ate whose hamster?

No decent publication would print filth like that

True.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
Anyone else tried using pee as plant fertiliser?

I read on the Internet that a number of people are using human pee as
plant fertiliser with success. The main things I read were that pee must
be fresh (within 24 hours old) or it starts to break down - if smelly then
it is past its best for plants and fit only as compost accelerator. The
other thing was that it must be diluted to around 1/20 or it can burn the
plants.

I found it takes quite a bit of practice to get said product into hanging
baskets. Also it is wise to stand upwind when doing so in anything but the
slightest of breezes.

mark

Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mark wrote:
I found it takes quite a bit of practice to get said product into hanging
baskets. Also it is wise to stand upwind when doing so in anything but the
slightest of breezes.

It would appear my 4 year old has been reading this thread. Apparently he
was too desperate to go to the toilet yesterday morning, he weed all over
the lawn. Which, given he was wearing a Mr Happy costume at the time, was
more than a little disturbing to witness.