Old 06-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry UK
Default Cmpacted Ground - Lawn

Hi all

can any of you help?

I have a patchy Lawn that has very hard compacted soil. I am unable to even get a fork in the ground.

Any ideas on softening it up - will just a realy good soaking work?

Any help would be appreciated.
__________________
Digmeup

www.new-garden-furniture.com
Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2010 19:40, Digmeup wrote:
Hi all

can any of you help?

I have a patchy Lawn that has very hard compacted soil. I am unable to
even get a fork in the ground.

Any ideas on softening it up - will just a realy good soaking work?

Any help would be appreciated.

A thorough soaking will certainly help. Once the ground is easier to
penetrate, you should be able to aerate it. Simply use a garden fork to
deeply penetrate the lawn all over (work backwards so you don't compact
the newly aerated surface) .. wiggle it about to enlarge the holes ..
then heave the soil slightly so you see turf raised. This will help to
get some air into the soil. To help keep it aerated, brush sandy
compost (John Innes No3 with extra sharp sand will do) into the surface
and especially the holes. The sharp sand will help with drainage and
help keep the holes open for longer.

You can also do the same job with a hollow-tined aerator, either manual
or powered. If you use a garden fork, you should repeat this task every
year. If you use a hollow-tined aerator, you should get away with doing
it every 3 years.

Spider
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
[...]

Thanks for that spider.

After 3 days off rain i was able to get the fork in the ground as you suggested.

Thanks for your help.