Old 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond aerator -- any good?

I've come across a pond aerator, solar powered, for £39.95:

http://www.readersoffers.co.uk/I-E76...nd-aerator.htm

No maker mentioned. Would it work? And, more important, would it do any
good?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:50:43 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

I've come across a pond aerator, solar powered, for £39.95:

http://www.readersoffers.co.uk/I-E76...nd-aerator.htm

No maker mentioned. Would it work? And, more important, would it do any
good?

Hugh

I would be a bit concerned about the air pressure being too low to
aerate more than a very shallow head of water. Note that the picture
shows aquarium air stones at about a three inch depth.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I've come across a pond aerator, solar powered, for £39.95:

http://www.readersoffers.co.uk/I-E76...nd-aerator.htm

No maker mentioned. Would it work? And, more important, would it do any
good?

Hugh

I would be a bit concerned about the air pressure being too low to
aerate more than a very shallow head of water. Note that the picture
shows aquarium air stones at about a three inch depth.

Good point, Steve. Maybe ineffective, then.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh

My mother gave me one for Christmas; same price as yours, two
airstones, but there's no picture of the actual unit so I can't be
certain it's the same. TBH it's not that wonderful. As Steve said, it
won't work if the 'stones' are in water deeper than about 15 inches.
Works OK in the summer, when daylight hours are long and the sun is
strong and nights are short so the battery doesn't go flat overnight.
But if you've got a reasonable number of oxygenating plants in the
pond you don't really need aeration in the summer. In the winter, when
it might actually be useful, the battery doesn't last the night
through and it rapidly gives up, and doesn't get recharged during the
day as the sun, when we get it, isn't really strong enough and
daylight hours are short. If I want it to run in the winter I have to
remove the battery and re-charge it separately with a charger.

I only have it running when Mother comes to visit! Save your money.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

I've just bought one, the Smartsolar 3000 ltr model, seems fine at the
moment. As I understand it you only really have to have the unit on when
it's hot and sunny, or if you have oxygenating plants, just on at night (in
night mode). It does say in the instructions that frost will damage the unit
and the unit should be stored for the winter. I bought mine because I've
already lost one fish and two others were struggling in the recent hot spell
even though I've got a lot of oxygenating plants in the pond, sod's law, the
weather has now changed, so I'll have to wait a bit to see if the fish are
gasping at the surface in the morning when it's hot.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Newbury wrote:
I've come across a pond aerator, solar powered, for £39.95:

http://www.readersoffers.co.uk/I-E76...nd-aerator.htm

No maker mentioned. Would it work? And, more important, would it do
any good?

Hugh

I have a similar one. Not very good. Get a decent mains twin outlet pump and
run it at night on a timer.
--

Pete C
London. UK.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/10 20:10, Pete C wrote:

I have a similar one. Not very good. Get a decent mains twin outlet pump and
run it at night on a timer.

Sounds like a good idea. Any brand or model you might like to recommend?

TIA

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
On 09/06/10 20:10, Pete C wrote:

I have a similar one. Not very good. Get a decent mains twin outlet pump
and
run it at night on a timer.

Sounds like a good idea. Any brand or model you might like to recommend?

TIA

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

Have a look here....
www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk
Can't remember what brand mine is. Most are not weather proof btw.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/10 19:15, Pete C wrote:
"Hugh wrote in message
On 09/06/10 20:10, Pete C wrote:

I have a similar one. Not very good. Get a decent mains twin outlet pump
and
run it at night on a timer.

Sounds like a good idea. Any brand or model you might like to recommend?

TIA

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

Have a look here....
www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk
Can't remember what brand mine is. Most are not weather proof btw.

Pete, thanks. That's a great site. I think I'll try a weatherproof mains
machine, like you suggested.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 27-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Registered User

Exclamation

Hugh Newbury;890355]I've come across a pond aerator, solar powered, for £39.95:

Solar Pond Aerator | Readers Offers

No maker mentioned. Would it work? And, more important, would it do any
good?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

This sounds like the Daily Telegraph (UK) reader offer. I bought one of these and it has just failed (after 6 months intermittent use). It proved temperamental and I can't recommend it. Good news is I've been given a full refund through the Telegraph.