Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea probs

I have got some white, fungus like growth on my
Hydrangea.
a couple of pics here

http://wally1002.tripod.com/hydrange...m/hpnx0033?i=0

Can anyone identify the problem? and maybe suggest a cure.

Thank you for any help.

Wally

Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2010 20:47, Wally wrote:
I have got some white, fungus like growth on my
Hydrangea.
a couple of pics here

http://wally1002.tripod.com/hydrange...m/hpnx0033?i=0

Can anyone identify the problem? and maybe suggest a cure.

Thank you for any help.

Wally

Looks like bird shit to me?
Don
Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
On 11/06/2010 20:47, Wally wrote:
I have got some white, fungus like growth on my
Hydrangea.
a couple of pics here

http://wally1002.tripod.com/hydrange...m/hpnx0033?i=0

Can anyone identify the problem? and maybe suggest a cure.

Thank you for any help.

Wally

Looks like bird shit to me?
Don

No, I could have identified that without calling for help.
It's a white fluffy growth of some sort.

Wally

Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally[_3_] View Post
I have got some white, fungus like growth on my
Hydrangea.
a couple of pics here

hydrangea

Can anyone identify the problem? and maybe suggest a cure.

Thank you for any help.

Wally
Looks like woolly aphid or scale insect - either way, insect not fungal. If there's not too much, removal by hand will be most effective, otherwise a systemic insecticide.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wally wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
On 11/06/2010 20:47, Wally wrote:
I have got some white, fungus like growth on my
Hydrangea.
a couple of pics here

http://wally1002.tripod.com/hydrange...m/hpnx0033?i=0

Can anyone identify the problem? and maybe suggest a cure.

Looks like bird shit to me?
Don

No, I could have identified that without calling for help.
It's a white fluffy growth of some sort.

Scale insect.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Old 11-06-2010, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote
Wally wrote:
"Donwill" wrote
Wally wrote:
I have got some white, fungus like growth on my
Hydrangea.
a couple of pics here

http://wally1002.tripod.com/hydrange...m/hpnx0033?i=0

Can anyone identify the problem? and maybe suggest a cure.

Looks like bird shit to me?
Don

No, I could have identified that without calling for help.
It's a white fluffy growth of some sort.

Scale insect.

Agree, Scale Insect at the breeding stage. Look at the stems (and probably
leaves midribs) and you will find small brown scales clinging to the plant.
These are insects that suck the sap so are best removed either by hand or by
spray.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Wally
writes
Still not sure what to make of it after a better look this morning.
Got some better pics here.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/hydrange...bum/top?i=1&s=

Far too many to remove by hand so have sprayed with "Sybol"
Would still like to know exactly what they are so if anyone can
identify from the better pics I would be grateful.

Wally

Scale insect, hose a lot of if you want then spray them as their cocoons
around them protect them from most stuff. They can be rubbed off as well
if there's not too many.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Flymo probs! JK Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Capsicum & Chilli Probs FASTEDDY Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Tree probs caused by Ivy Mike United Kingdom 8 02-03-2003 07:59 AM
Herbs in pots - any probs? Paul England United Kingdom 4 12-11-2002 10:54 AM