Old 24-06-2010, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How long should I sprinkle?

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

Old 24-06-2010, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2010 11:38, Muddymike wrote:
At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

I think there are too many variables to give an exact figure - volume of
water/minute, type of soil, drainage, how dry soil was to start with
etc. etc.

Maybe a case of trial and error - if the grass squelches when you walk
on it then you've probably left the sprinkler on too long;-)
Old 24-06-2010, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:38:42 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe ban!
Eek!
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 24-06-2010, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now
happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe
ban!
Eek!

Ah, but does that ban using the hose for water pumped from my own
well?

Mike

Old 24-06-2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now
happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe
ban!
Eek!

Ah, but does that ban using the hose for water pumped from my own
well?

Mike

A lot of controversy about that. One water company prosecuted someone
for using a hose fitted to a water but filled off the roof. Of course,
as is usual with the media, never heard the result!

Old 24-06-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe ban!
Eek!

Ah, but does that ban using the hose for water pumped from my own well?

Mike

You are allowed to use 20 cu.m per day for domestic use only. If you use
more than this you must (in theory) apply for a licence.
Also in theory if you sell, say runner beans at your gate that have been
watered with your extracted water then this is commercial and requires a
licence.

The water does not belong to the water authority.

mark

Old 24-06-2010, 05:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddymike View Post
At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike
Try putting a straight sided dish within the sprinkler range when you set it running. Depth of water in that will tell you how many inches of rain your sprinkler 'rainstorm' has been.
Old 24-06-2010, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe ban!
Eek!

The North West of where?

Phil - Northwest Scotland

Old 24-06-2010, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Phil Gurr" contains these words:
wrote:
At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?
Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe ban!
Eek!

The North West of where?

Phil - Northwest Scotland

No need to waste expensively treated tapwater on lawns - grass greens up
again as soon as it rains :-)

--
Compo in Caithness
Old 25-06-2010, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:58:54 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

The water does not belong to the water authority.

Well, at least on this we could all agree....

When being developed, my golf course dug out and prepared quite a
large new lake. It is fed by a previous small stream.

If the owner wishes to use the water to irrigate the course, he has to
have a licence and must pay the Water Board for the water extracted.
He remains unamused.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 25-06-2010, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:56:06 +0100, "Phil Gurr"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe ban!
Eek!

The North West of where?

Phil - Northwest Scotland

North West England...
I thinkyou've got rain today up there according to the weather
forecast
Old 25-06-2010, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The water does not belong to the water authority.

Well, at least on this we could all agree....

When being developed, my golf course dug out and prepared quite a
large new lake. It is fed by a previous small stream.

If the owner wishes to use the water to irrigate the course, he has to
have a licence and must pay the Water Board for the water extracted.
He remains unamused.

It is the Enviroment Agency that issues licences.
I don't understand why you would pay the Water Authority for water unless it
came from their pipes.

mark

Old 28-06-2010, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-06-24 15:16:31 +0100, Jake said:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:36:09 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

wrote:

At long last my well pump has been replaced, so I am now
happily
sprinkling the lawns which are starting to look rather brown
again.
My question is, how long should the sprinklers be left in one
spot?

Mike

If you're in the North West they're about to call a hosepipe
ban!
Eek!

Ah, but does that ban using the hose for water pumped from my own
well?

Mike

A lot of controversy about that. One water company prosecuted someone
for using a hose fitted to a water but filled off the roof. Of course,
as is usual with the media, never heard the result!

I remember some lawyer on the TV last year saying that a "hosepipe
ban" is just that - you can't use a hosepipe at all, even if the
water comes from your water butt or a private source. One reason I
gave up my allotment years ago was that every summer there was a "ban"
and we had to fill watering cans (of not more than 1 gallon
capacity!!!!!) from a communal water trough which was about 100 yards
from my bit (and was usually empty anyway). The last Government were
supposed to be reviewing the laws in 2006, 2007, 2008 .... but I don't
think they got anywhere.

As of April we, in England and Wales at least, have new legislation
called the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 - supposedly to bring up
to date the archaic rules which in the 2006 drought allowed you to hose
down your patio but not your family's veg plot.

In theory, the new legislation is more flexible and gives the water
companies a wide range of options but not an infinite list of hosepipe
uses. Each company when threatened by drought can choose one or more of
the following prohibitions:

(a) watering a garden using a hosepipe;
(b) cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a hosepipe;
(c) watering plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using
a hosepipe;
(d) cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe;
(e) filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool;
(f) drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use;
(g) filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe;
(h) filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain;
(i) cleaning walls, or windows, of domestic premises using a hosepipe;
(j) cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe;
(k) cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe.

No other hose uses can be banned, hence filling the hen house watering
trough with a hose is allowed even during a hosepipe ban. Equally,
using a hosepipe to deliver water to an outdoor shower which is used
for personal hygiene can't be banned during a hosepipe ban - so we may
see an increase in the number of outdoor showers positioned close to
the hanging baskets or growbags.

Interestingly, a water company need not ban a specified use of water
entirely. It may now limit the scope of a ban by, for example,
excluding specified groups of customers (eg the elderly and infirm) and
apparatus (eg drip irrigation systems) and restricting the use of water
at specified times only (eg during daylight hours).

But will they? The water companies loved the old-style hosepipe bans
because they were easy to monitor and grabbed big headlines which
helped in the propaganda war. United Utilities certainly won't be using
any of its discretionary powers next week when it introduces a blanket
hosepipe ban (although it has had plenty of time to consider imposing
less draconian restrictions initially).

Perhaps the better managed, more customer-centric water companies will
exercise their discretionary powers. Perhaps too those companies with a
growing, soon-to-be-100% base of metered customers will think twice
before cutting out all hosepipe uses and thereby hurting their revenue.

But I fear we may have to wait a long time to see the first
discretionary hosepipe restrictions.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2010...en_4#pt2-l1g36