Old 26-06-2010, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting advice please

One of our flower beds is about to be completely cleared out, a membrane
laid and new flowering shrubs planted and I would welcome some advice on
suitable plants.

We are in South Cheshire, the bed (mainly solid clay) is on a slope (being
the canal bank) and faces South. We are in a rural area so the bed is
fairly exposed. I am looking for colour from Spring through to Autumn.

Any suggestions please.

Jeanne

Old 26-06-2010, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 26, 10:03*am, "Pete" wrote:
One of our flower beds is about to be completely cleared out, a membrane
laid and new flowering shrubs planted and I would welcome some advice on
suitable plants.

We are in South Cheshire, the bed (mainly solid clay) is on a slope (being
the canal bank) and faces South. *We are in a rural area so the bed is
fairly exposed. I am looking for colour from Spring through to Autumn.

Any suggestions please.

Jeanne

Soak new plants prior to planting; really, good soak.
Old 26-06-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete
writes
One of our flower beds is about to be completely cleared out, a
membrane laid and new flowering shrubs planted and I would welcome some
advice on suitable plants.

Some indications of scale would not go amiss. Not only how big your
border is, but what size of shrubs you are intending to plant (2 feet
high Potentillas, or 15 feet high Buddleias).

We are in South Cheshire, the bed (mainly solid clay) is on a slope
(being the canal bank) and faces South. We are in a rural area so the
bed is fairly exposed. I am looking for colour from Spring through to
Autumn.

Not everybody approves of Forsythia (for most of the year it's a rather
ungainly shrub), but for early spring colour it's hard to beat its
luminous yellow flowers.

You may be looking for shrubs with long flowering seasons. Perpetual
roses would be one of the classic solutions, and if I recall correctly
they're happy with clay. (I think that roses are usually more trouble
than they're worth, but many people disagree.) The sterile varieties of
Lavatera ('Rosea', 'Barnsley', 'Kew Rose' will flower for half the year
if the weather remains mild, but clay soil isn't ideal for these.

Any suggestions please.

Jeanne

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-06-2010, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete
writes
One of our flower beds is about to be completely cleared out, a membrane
laid and new flowering shrubs planted and I would welcome some advice on
suitable plants.

Some indications of scale would not go amiss. Not only how big your border
is, but what size of shrubs you are intending to plant (2 feet high
Potentillas, or 15 feet high Buddleias).
snip
--

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yes - I should have mentioned that it is approx 60' long x 10' deep. There
are several other beds which are more "cottagey". The emphasis on this bed
will be low maintenance but lots of colour. Because there is quite a slope
on the bed (which will automatically give height to some of the planting), I
am not looking at very tall plants.

Jeanne