Old 26-06-2010, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default John Deere JS63VC - information please

Hello all

I am looking round for a 4-stroke walk-behind 19/21-inch mulch-mower.
probably but not definitely RWD self-propelled.

One that caught my eye is the John Deere JS63VC
(the one with the front caster wheels).
If anyone out there uses one of these I'd be grateful for a bit of advice.

I mow approx 2500 m2. The very mixed surface ranges from even and
uncluttered lawn to fairly rough and uneven orchard with tough, tufty grass
and mole-hills. Here I have to manoeuvre round a lot of trees and other
obstacles, using the mower at times almost like a strimmer or brushcutter
clearing under hedges and pushing back wild blackberries invading from a
neighbouring plot.

I need flexibility manoeuvring backward and forward in the many tight,
awkward corners.
Can one simply override the drive and push/pull the mower back and forth ?

I also need to navigate round and under the low branches of our apple trees
(some of which are grafted on weak root stock and are fairly low).
Can one quickly and easily disengage the drive and just push it for a few
moments ?

Thanks in advance and best regards
from Ray

Old 27-06-2010, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 June, 12:01, "Raymond RUSSELL" wrote:

One that caught my eye is the John Deere JS63VC
(the one with the front caster wheels).

I mow approx 2500 m2. *

I have 2500m2, and do it fairly easily with an R47VE
I looked at the castor wheels, and was advised that they are useful in
graveyards, but nowhere much else. I found them fantastically easy
to manouvre, when trying it out, but slightly difficult to avoid being
thrown off line in rough grass.

I need flexibility manoeuvring backward and forward in the many tight,
awkward corners.
Can one simply override the drive and push/pull the mower back and forth ?

Yes. Just let go of the drive control

I also need to navigate round and under the low branches of our apple trees
(some of which are grafted on weak root stock and are fairly low).
Can one quickly and easily disengage the drive and just push it for a few
moments ?

Yes, as above