Old 27-06-2010, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Dead Chicken :'(

She seemed to get better after the antibiotics a few weeks ago, but she was
starting tolook a bit floopy again a couple of days ago, and Nick got her
some more antibiotics yesterday ... then she wouldn't come out with the
others this morning and was hiding in the shade (I thought it was just a bit
hot for her) but Nick's just gone out and she's all stiff and legs in the
air, and her wattle and comb has gone all purpley looking.

Poor Chickeny, RIP.

Old 27-06-2010, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Sorry to hear that, vicky.
Sometimes when their egg laying mechanism goes wrong (is this the same

What sort of hen was she? If she was a hybrid, they are often not long
lived birds, unfortunately.
At least you have given her a good life.
Tina

Old 27-06-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
She seemed to get better after the antibiotics a few weeks ago, but she
was
starting tolook a bit floopy again a couple of days ago, and Nick got her
some more antibiotics yesterday ... then she wouldn't come out with the
others this morning and was hiding in the shade (I thought it was just a
bit
hot for her) but Nick's just gone out and she's all stiff and legs in the
air, and her wattle and comb has gone all purpley looking.

Poor Chickeny, RIP.

--
yummy chicken for dinner

Old 27-06-2010, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Sometimes when their egg laying mechanism goes wrong (is this the same
bird?) it's a sign of underlying problems.

Yeah, it's the same one. She's had a bit snuffley for a while on top of the
egg issue. We thought she was getting better, but I guess not. nick
suspects it was a heart attack in the end, but she's not been feeling well.
She's been sleeping down by the food instead of in the nest again recently
(one of the bantams went to keep her company last night - either that, or
she was keeping an eye on her to make sure she wasn't scoffing the food in
the night)

What sort of hen was she? If she was a hybrid, they are often not long
lived birds, unfortunately.

She was a rhode island red hybrid of some sort. I think the place we got
her from has a bad reputation, but Nick was in a hurry to buy, and he's
never been very good at being sensible, unfortunately. The original 2 we
had went back for a swap after a few days cos they just weren't right, and
one of the pair died after a few months, leaving us with Chickeny (for a
couple of days, before we got a couple of baby bantams to keep her company)

At least you have given her a good life.

I hope so. She was a friendly little thing. She was the one that would
come when I called her, so it's quite sad. :-(

The boys are taking it well. Benjamin has already asked if we can get a
black one next. No idea why. Nick has his heart set on one with blue or
green eggs, though.
Old 27-06-2010, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

pied piper wrote:
yummy chicken for dinner

Almost seems a shame to waste her, but since we don't know what she died of
exactly, probably not the best idea ...

Old 28-06-2010, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

wrote in
:

She seemed to get better after the antibiotics a few weeks ago, but
she was starting tolook a bit floopy again a couple of days ago, and
Nick got her some more antibiotics yesterday ... then she wouldn't
come out with the others this morning and was hiding in the shade (I
thought it was just a bit hot for her) but Nick's just gone out and
she's all stiff and legs in the air, and her wattle and comb has gone
all purpley looking.

Poor Chickeny, RIP.

My daughter and I have had similar experiences. Our condolences.
Old 28-06-2010, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"pied piper" wrote in

wrote in message
She seemed to get better after the antibiotics a few weeks ago, but
she was
starting tolook a bit floopy again a couple of days ago, and Nick got
her some more antibiotics yesterday ... then she wouldn't come out
with the others this morning and was hiding in the shade (I thought
it was just a bit
hot for her) but Nick's just gone out and she's all stiff and legs in
the air, and her wattle and comb has gone all purpley looking.

Poor Chickeny, RIP.

--
yummy chicken for dinner

Unwise, unless you want eat the infection and antibiotics too!
Old 30-06-2010, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

The boys are taking it well. Benjamin has already asked if we can get a
black one next. No idea why. Nick has his heart set on one with blue or
green eggs, though.

Remind him you do not eat the shell ;-) What is inside is the same.

You need Welbars for green/blue eggs - or pure bred Araucanas/
For a completely black chicken, Black Leghorn might suit. They are quite
good layers of big eggs, although the eggs are white.
Do consider rescuing some ex-batts, though. You can get as few as four.
I don't regret getting my 4 (3 within 36 hours :-( )
They can look oven ready when you get them, but I find children often like
the idea of getting them back to health, seeing the new feathers coming etc.
My 3 (which I got just before last Christmas) are laying like stink. Which
is sad in a way as they were off out of the battery they were in to be stock
cubes and chicken pies unless for

http://exbatteryhens.webs.com/batter...lfaretrust.htm

These hens have a lot of more life left.

Tina

Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Remind him you do not eat the shell ;-) What is inside is the same.

Yeah, but it's still got novelty value. :-)
Anyhow, psychosematic or not, I still get tummy pains after eating the white
ones!

You need Welbars for green/blue eggs - or pure bred Araucanas/

*nod* Already well researched! He knows what he wants, just doesn't know
where he can get one as of yet. Anyhow, got to wait till after we go away
for the weekend first.

For a completely black chicken, Black Leghorn might suit. They are quite
good layers of big eggs, although the eggs are white.

*nod* We have a whitestar leghorn, and she lays huge white eggs. She's
also the bully - affectionately* known as That Evil Bugger White Chicken.
She doesn't seem to mind.

Do consider rescuing some ex-batts, though. You can get as few as four.
I don't regret getting my 4 (3 within 36 hours :-( )
They can look oven ready when you get them, but I find children often like
the idea of getting them back to health, seeing the new feathers coming etc.

I liked the idea of ex-battery hens, but having had Chickeny be periodically
ill for the last few months, and the stress that caused, I'm not sure I'd be
a fit adopter after all, unfortunately. :-( And we have to feel safe that
they're not going to cause any problems if we go away for a few days and
leave our (getting on a bit!) neighbour to chicken-sit. She's happy to open
and close the door and top up food and water and collect eggs, but I'm not
sure what she would do when faced with a legs-in-the-air chicken corpse .. !

My 3 (which I got just before last Christmas) are laying like stink. Which
is sad in a way as they were off out of the battery they were in to be stock
cubes and chicken pies unless for

http://exbatteryhens.webs.com/batter...lfaretrust.htm

These hens have a lot of more life left.

I'll bookmark and revisit when we feel more ... competent, perhaps. :-)
Thanks.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We're about to acquire chickens which will, in fact, belong to the
grand daughter but be kept here.

Article on keeping chickens in the latest Gardening Which magazine
Sacha.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph