Old 04-07-2010, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is glyphosate?

On 03/07/2010 14:58, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Just an idle question, but is glyphosate
the same as Roundup?

Roundup is the vastly overpriced version produced by Monsanto for
spraying their "Roundup Ready" crops on an industrial scale.

The active ingredient of Roundup is called glyphosate - compound that is
very lethal to green plants and surprisingly benign to most other
things. Real formulations also contain fairly powerful wetting agents
that are more toxic to mammals than the glyphosate.

I notice people on this group have suddenly started
talking about glyphosate;
I don't recall seeing it mentioned until recently.

Generic glyphosate products with the highest %age active ingredient made
by other manufacturers are preferable to buying the Monsanto stuff
unless you really want to support their crass behaviour wrt GM foods.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
On 03/07/2010 15:58, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Just an idle question, but is glyphosate
the same as Roundup?

I notice people on this group have suddenly started
talking about glyphosate;
I don't recall seeing it mentioned until recently.

Another important difference is the price. Ghyphosate is a generic
name of the most common weed killer ingredient and is always far
cheaper than paying for the same product under a brand name. Roundup
can cost between ten and a hundred times as much as generic
glyphosate to treat the same area!!!

So, where can I buy glyphosate?

Don't be misled by this discussion: you can buy it without formality at
any garden centre or DIY shed: just look, or ask, for the shop's own
brand. What we can't get as amateurs is presumably an "industrial
strength" version in bulk quantities, and that's probably a good thing
in most cases.

--
Mike.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 alan.holmes wrote:

Another important difference is the price. Ghyphosate is a generic name
of
the most common weed killer ingredient and is always far cheaper than
paying for the same product under a brand name. Roundup can cost between
ten and a hundred times as much as generic glyphosate to treat the same
area!!!

So, where can I buy glyphosate?

As I've said before, do-it-yourself shops in France.

Unfortunately I do not live in France and live too far away from the ports
to be able to get there!

So, where in England can I buy it?

Alan

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
Why have some of these posts suddenly become unavailable?

Message is no longer available on the server
Outlook Express is unable to retrieve the requested message
because the server no longer has the message available.

[...]

This does happen every now and then, but I'm not at all sure why. But in
case my reply to your question was one of them, let's repeat.

You asked:
So, where can I buy glyphosate?

I replied:
Don't be misled by this discussion: you can buy it without formality at
any garden centre or DIY shed: just look, or ask, for the shop's own
brand. What we can't get as amateurs is presumably an "industrial
strength" version in bulk quantities, and that's probably a good thing
in most cases.

HTH,
--
Mike.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

In small quantities at high prices - no doubt !

Is this what you want?
http://www.pitchcare.com/shop/herbic...57fe80334.html

Mike

Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
[...]

I heard a report recently that in America weeds were developing
resistance to glyphosate due to excess use on crops which have been
genetically modified themselves to be resistant. Apparently not a
problem in Canada because they rotate their crops.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:20:46 +0100, alan.holmes
wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
On 03/07/2010 15:58, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Just an idle question, but is glyphosate
the same as Roundup?

I notice people on this group have suddenly started
talking about glyphosate;
I don't recall seeing it mentioned until recently.

Another important difference is the price. Ghyphosate is a generic name of
the most common weed killer ingredient and is always far cheaper than
paying for the same product under a brand name. Roundup can cost between
ten and a hundred times as much as generic glyphosate to treat the same
area!!!

So, where can I buy glyphosate?

Alan

B & Q

Go to diy.com and put Glyphosate in the search field.

£7.98 for Bayer Garden Super Strength Glyphosate

Steven
--
You're a great friend, but if the zombies chase us I'm tripping you.

www.baldman.org.uk
Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Mark,

On 07/05/2010 06:17 PM, mark wrote:
Anyone know what the big gin traps in France are for? They almost look big
enough to catch humans! Much bigger than the old rat ones in the UK.
Foxes or badgers perhaps?

Yes I've seen these used for foxes. They're difficult to hunt with
rifles, and because of the damage it is easy to get authorization to
destroy them. There seems to be a lot of them about now.

Wild Boar.... though they prefer to shoot them after running round the
forests for a day, two to three times a week attempting to dislodge them...
I could not believe the numbers killed. Small hunting associations, say
30/50 members can kill 200 in a season.
They DO, however use them for meat and are frozen for the winter periods...
Mind you, they also kill a few humans with stray bullets during the hunting
season...!

Never heard of anyone trapping a boar. To kill a boar you need the
right band from the hunts people, they give out a number based on what
the estimated population is. Right now there are a lot of boar, so a
lot of bands. During an average season the kill in "our" wood (the
house is surrounded by an edge of a 15,000 ha forest, but I just mean
our spur) is over 100, sometimes much higher.

No one has been killed here by a stray bullet, the other sort is another
story.

Boar makes very fine eating and as a "good neighbor" to the guy who runs
the hunt we are often presented chops, a shoulder or what have you.
Indeed it freezes very well.

The boar do a good deal of damage in the fields, digging up large swaths
of ground. If it's bad enough the government sends you a check (true!).
They rarely come into the garden though they will come for apples or
pears when they're down, or sometimes soft fruit.

What does worse damage are deer and roe deer. They come right up to the
house, eat roses to the ground destroy young trees... I'm trying to get
fencing around everything now. There's such an overpopulation right now
that they're awfully bold.

I like deer, in a pot.

It wouldn't happen here, I can assure you..
(..don't you just LOVE being in France..?)

There are some advantages, but only some! Still the man comes to
install full BBC service this afternoon, that will be nice.

-E
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message HV7Yn.176133$Hs4.138483@hurricane, alan.holmes
writes

Why have some of these posts suddenly become unavailable?

Message is no longer available on the server
Outlook Express is unable to retrieve the requested message because
the server no longer has the message available.

Because the news server you are using is a bit rubbish and hasn't kept
the messages for very long. You seem to be using Highwinds, which
provides news server services to some ISP's.

I've heard a number of complaints about them.

If unhappy with the service you can always use a different server.
--
Chris French

Old 08-07-2010, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 July, 15:23, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Timothy Murphy
writes

Just an idle question, but is glyphosate
the same as Roundup?

Glyphosate is N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine. This is a compound which
interferes with the shikimic acid pathway in plant metabolism inhibiting
the synthesis of some amino acids, and thus protein synthesis.

Roundup is a formulation including glyphosate as its active ingredient,
but also including surfactants to increase plant update of the
glyphosate. Tumbleweed is another formulation. (I'd tell you to read the
label to find out what the active ingredient is in a herbicide, but on
several occasions I've found them opaque.)

I believe that on occasion that active ingredient in a weedkiller has
been changed, but the brand name retained. So perhaps it's better to
avoid the use of brand names.

I notice people on this group have suddenly started
talking about glyphosate;
I don't recall seeing it mentioned until recently.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Roundup is a product of Monsanto. However the patent has recently
lapsed and other companies are making cheaper varieties now. The
cheapest place to get it is at your local farm store but shop around,
the b***s will rip you off if they don't know you. They are a clichy
bunch these farmers.

glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 03:43 PM
Glyphosate Huskies4all Roses 7 29-05-2003 05:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 7 12-05-2003 07:56 PM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:45 AM