Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hosepipe Ban

We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My immediate
reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water tank filled with
rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump system wasn't working. My
other half now says he can get the pump working so we can use this water via
our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!

Jeanne

Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"Pete" wrote in message
We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My
immediate reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water tank
filled with rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump system wasn't
working. My other half now says he can get the pump working so we can use
this water via our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!

Your memory is correct. People were threatened with legal action for using
their hospipes to water their gardens with rainwater from tanks etc. Note
the term "threatened". I doubt whether they would actually prosecute if you
called their bluff. Frankly I doubt if they could legally stop you moving
your water with your hosepipe.

X-posted to UK.legal, I'm sure they'd like to join in.

Steve

Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
JMS JMS is offline

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:33:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

There was an item on the news tonight saying that the last time UU
(was NWW) introduced the ban 17 years ago no-one was prosecuted.

I think it would be of interest how much water is wasted from leaks
per day - and how much water is used in garden hose-pipes each day.

I reported a water leak a couple of months ago and it was left
*gushing* for ten hours before anyone even came to look at it. It
was obviously not urgent as they left the remedial work until the next
day.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"JMS" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:33:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Used to get hosepipe bans regularly when I lived in Greece. You'd find
people washing their cars round the back of their houses in the middle of
the night with their hose...

--
Mike P

Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"Mike P" wrote in message
"JMS" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:33:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I like it.... a variation on my technique, which is to fill/top up my
210-litre water butt with the hose when no-one's looking.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:09:36 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

snip

I like it.... a variation on my technique, which is to fill/top up my
210-litre water butt with the hose when no-one's looking.

Why do it when no-one's looking? Just run a bloody copper pipe to the thing so
you can fill it any time.

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'As I walk along these shores
Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:02:36 +0100, Mike P wrote:
"JMS" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:33:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It'll be interesting to see if this ban extends to include irrigation
systems that householders are increasingly installing to do the watering
for them.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

In article , says...
"JMS" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:33:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I think we have recently had a thread about this and whilst water
companies like to talk about "bans" they are often just restrictions with
all sort of exceptions allowed so its always worth looking at the small
print as the last one down here banned the watering of gardens with a
hose but allowed the filling of a watering can with a hose, it doesn't
take a rocket scientist to connect a can to the end of a hose!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On 8 July, 09:30, pete wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:02:36 +0100, Mike P wrote:
"JMS" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:33:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

for them.- Hide quoted text -

It definately will!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:30:45 GMT, pete wrote:

It'll be interesting to see if this ban extends to include irrigation
systems that householders are increasingly installing to do the watering
for them.

I cannot see how it could be detected that an underground water system
was being used, so a ban would be unenforceable. I also don't know
whay such systems are not more prevalent. It is cheap and easy to
bury a few perforated pipes under lawns and vegetable/flower beds. A
few moisture detectors and electric water valves then make the process
of watering your garden completely automatic.

--
Cynic

Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

A spokesman for United Utilities was interviewed on Radio4.

In summary,

a) he didn't really know what was covered [pressure washers etc]

b) policing would be by neighbours ratting on you [presumably with you
then fessing up]

In short, it is a PR exercise to save water. But not heavy handed enough
to cause people/the media to ask how much water is allowed to waste by
leakage and why investment is not going to renew old [but clean] pipework.

Flop
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
JMS JMS is offline

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:30:45 GMT, pete wrote:

snip

It'll be interesting to see if this ban extends to include irrigation
systems that householders are increasingly installing to do the watering
for them.

From UU webpage:

Please note: blue badge holders and customers who are registered
disabled are exempt from the ban.

http://www.unitedutilities.com/Hosepipeban.htm

Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On 7 July, 20:33, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Pete" wrote in message

[...]

Rainwater is yours until it crosses your boundary when it becomes the
property of the local water company. A stream that crosses your
boundary is not yours, you can't take the water /obstruct the stream
without a licence.If you have a well/borehole you need a licence for
that too.
Years ago in the heady days of privatisation of the water companies,
they tried to lay claim to rainwater too. Someone in Norfolk
appparently successfully sued them because their water came through
his roof without permission and damaged his house. They forgot about
the rainwater business after that.
I have an underground tank & catch water off my driveway.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
S S is offline

On Jul 8, 6:34*am, harry wrote:
On 7 July, 20:33, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message

[...]

In the dry southwest of the United States there is a complicated
system of water rights, you may not have the right to the rainwater
that falls on your property.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

shazzbat wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My
immediate reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water
tank filled with rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump
system wasn't working. My other half now says he can get the pump
working so we can use this water via our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!

Your memory is correct. People were threatened with legal action for
using their hospipes to water their gardens with rainwater from tanks
etc. Note the term "threatened". I doubt whether they would actually
prosecute if you called their bluff. Frankly I doubt if they could
legally stop you moving your water with your hosepipe.

If it is for a banned purpose, they usually can. The ban is normally on
the use of the hose, irrespective of the source of the water.

However, the bans are usually quite complex and contain lots of
exceptions. The last one we had allowed a hose to be used to fill a pond
if it contained fish but not if there were none. It allowed hoses on
vegetable plots, but not on flower beds.

Being on a water meter, I've gone for a garden that should not need
watering, so hosepipe bans are generally only of academic interest to me.

Colin Bignell

Hosepipe ban oversimplified on TV? VX United Kingdom 11 10-05-2006 01:15 PM
Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 59 08-05-2006 09:52 AM
Beat the hosepipe ban! dyofix Marketplace 2 02-05-2006 01:32 PM
Hosepipe ban and RHS United Kingdom 8 31-03-2006 02:43 AM
Hosepipe ban Stan The Man United Kingdom 33 23-06-2005 09:31 PM