Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Hosepipe Ban

On 07/07/10 16:03, Pete wrote:
We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My
immediate reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water tank
filled with rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump system
wasn't working. My other half now says he can get the pump working so we
can use this water via our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!

Jeanne

On our allotment, we have a permanent hosepipe ban in a sense. You can
never water plants directly with a hose running from the mains water
supply.. You can only use a hose pipe to fill up your barrels (you can
have as many as you like) and then u fill ur water cans from there.

If a ban comes in, then the mains supply will be switched off.. just as
it is in winter time but then that is to insure against bursting pipes
in the cold weather.

Is it the same on other allotment sites?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

pete wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:02:36 +0100, Mike P wrote:
"JMS" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:33:45 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My
immediate reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water tank
filled with rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump system
wasn't
working. My other half now says he can get the pump working so we can
use
this water via our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!
Your memory is correct. People were threatened with legal action for using
their hospipes to water their gardens with rainwater from tanks etc. Note
the term "threatened". I doubt whether they would actually prosecute if
you
called their bluff. Frankly I doubt if they could legally stop you moving
your water with your hosepipe.

X-posted to UK.legal, I'm sure they'd like to join in.

Steve

There was an item on the news tonight saying that the last time UU
(was NWW) introduced the ban 17 years ago no-one was prosecuted.

I think it would be of interest how much water is wasted from leaks
per day - and how much water is used in garden hose-pipes each day.

Used to get hosepipe bans regularly when I lived in Greece. You'd find
people washing their cars round the back of their houses in the middle of
the night with their hose...

It'll be interesting to see if this ban extends to include irrigation
systems that householders are increasingly installing to do the watering
for them.

A spokesman for United Utilities was interviewed on Radio4.

In summary,

a) he didn't really know what was covered [pressure washers etc]

b) policing would be by neighbours ratting on you [presumably with you
then fessing up]

In short, it is a PR exercise to save water. But not heavy handed enough
to cause people/the media to ask how much water is allowed to waste by
leakage and why investment is not going to renew old [but clean] pipework.

Flop
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

Anyone reporting a hose user had better be sure the 'offender' is
definitely using it for an illegal purpose. There may not be many
inches between a garden path (legal to wash down with a hose) and a
garden border (illegal to water with a hose).

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-07-09 13:18:28 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 08:30:06 +0100, chris French

In message , Stan The Man
writes
On 2010-07-08 14:29:05 +0100, Pam Moore said:

snipped, sorry
I heard an item on the radio about hoepipe bans generally, and what
you CAN do in spite of a ban. I can't remember them all, but you CAN
wash the dog or cat,, and even fill up a swimming pool, plus a few
other ridiculous things.
Pam in Bristol

I would be interested to trace that. Do you happen to recall which
station, programme, time and date?

It sound like the bit that was on R4 a few days ago. 'You and Yours' I
think. Probably on Wednesday.

Ah yes here we are, it's chapter 6 down the bottom of the page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00swrbr#synopsis

Yes, before I read your post I thought "probably You & Yours".
I've listened to it, and that was the bit I heard.
I think the laws need changing about refilling private swimming pools
and hot tubs, and using a pressure washer on a patio. Ponds might
need refilling to preserve the fish etc.

Pam in Bristol

The law *has* been changed and your wishes have been granted - see
section 36 on page 25 (p22 if printed) at
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2010...0100029_en.pdf

Now we're just waiting for it to be enshrined within water industry
regulations so that the water companies can apply it. It won't be soon
though.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"Stan The Man" wrote in message

Anyone reporting a hose user had better be sure the 'offender' is
definitely using it for an illegal purpose. There may not be many inches
between a garden path (legal to wash down with a hose) and a garden border
(illegal to water with a hose).

Not forgetting the who they are factor as well (:-)

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 09-07-2010, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/07/10 16:03, Pete wrote:
[...]

Do not know, but on what grounds will the supply be switched off ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message
We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My
immediate reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water tank
filled with rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump system wasn't
working. My other half now says he can get the pump working so we can use
this water via our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!

Dunno, but as you have 5,000 gallons of rainwater you've collected, I'd use
it with a hosepipe when it's dark..just in case your neighbours split on
you.
But, hey, I'm a rebel ;-)

Tina

Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

shazzbat wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My
immediate reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water
tank filled with rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump
system wasn't working. My other half now says he can get the pump
working so we can use this water via our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!

Your memory is correct. People were threatened with legal action for
using their hospipes to water their gardens with rainwater from tanks
etc. Note the term "threatened". I doubt whether they would actually
prosecute if you called their bluff. Frankly I doubt if they could
legally stop you moving your water with your hosepipe.

If it is for a banned purpose, they usually can. The ban is normally on
the use of the hose, irrespective of the source of the water.

However, the bans are usually quite complex and contain lots of
exceptions. The last one we had allowed a hose to be used to fill a pond
if it contained fish but not if there were none. It allowed hoses on
vegetable plots, but not on flower beds.

Being on a water meter, I've gone for a garden that should not need
watering, so hosepipe bans are generally only of academic interest to me.

Colin Bignell
Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On 2010-07-09 18:14:19 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere said:

shazzbat wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

Snip
Colin Bignell

Not true - the ban is specifically upon the use of a hosepipe to
distribute water *supplied by* the water company. So there is no legal
way to ban the use of a hosepipe to distribute collected run-off water
from a water butt or other container.

See http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991...-ch3-pb3-l1g76

Old 09-07-2010, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"Stan The Man" wrote in message

If it is for a banned purpose, they usually can. The ban is normally on
the use of the hose, irrespective of the source of the water.
Snip
Colin Bignell

Not true - the ban is specifically upon the use of a hosepipe to
distribute water *supplied by* the water company. So there is no legal way
to ban the use of a hosepipe to distribute collected run-off water from a
water butt or other container.

See
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991...-ch3-pb3-l1g76

Agreed - there are many misconceptions.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 18:14:19 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere
wrote:

shazzbat wrote:

Your memory is correct. People were threatened with legal action for
using their hospipes to water their gardens with rainwater from tanks
etc. Note the term "threatened". I doubt whether they would actually
prosecute if you called their bluff. Frankly I doubt if they could
legally stop you moving your water with your hosepipe.

If it is for a banned purpose, they usually can. The ban is normally on
the use of the hose, irrespective of the source of the water.

I don't see how they can lawfully do that. Especially if it's YOUR water; the
water company - a private company! - don't get to tell you that you can't use
water from your butt, swimming pool, pond, or private reservoir or holding tank,
for watering the garden or washing your car! The whole notion is preposterous;
it's YOUR water, your hose, your garden, your pump - none of their bloody
business!

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'As I walk along these shores
Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
bod bod is offline

wrote:

shazzbat wrote:

[...]

The hosepipe ban is only restricted to the water that the water company
supplies, ie: the mains supply. It does not apply to natural water
collected in a container/butt etc, unless you have filled your container
from the mains of course.

Bod
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 at 16:27:01, Stan The Man wrote in
uk.legal :

Anyone reporting a hose user had better be sure the 'offender' is
definitely using it for an illegal purpose. There may not be many
inches between a garden path (legal to wash down with a hose) and a
garden border (illegal to water with a hose).

Ah, but if they are close, you can bounce the water off the path, and
have it 'accidentally' water your vegetables...
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-07-09 15:26:15 +0100, Ed ex@directory said:

On 07/07/10 16:03, Pete wrote:
[...]

Get your MPs on the case.
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/ex...errerPath=home

Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/10 16:03, Pete wrote:
[...]

Mains water on the allotments? Luxury.
We're currently taking water with us.

Steve

Hosepipe ban oversimplified on TV? VX United Kingdom 11 10-05-2006 01:15 PM
Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 59 08-05-2006 09:52 AM
Beat the hosepipe ban! dyofix Marketplace 2 02-05-2006 01:32 PM
Hosepipe ban and RHS United Kingdom 8 31-03-2006 02:43 AM
Hosepipe ban Stan The Man United Kingdom 33 23-06-2005 09:31 PM