Old 16-07-2010, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default red cabbage caterpillars

Hi, I am growing some red cabbages & they are beginning to form a heart. I
have had no problem with bugs so far, but suddenly notice holes in the
innermost leaves. I have peeled some leaves back & found a few green
caterpillars inside, plus some green deposits which might be eggs or
caterpillar-poo.

I ought to have covered them with a net at an earlier stage.

Is it worth trying to rescue them or is it too late ?

KK

Old 16-07-2010, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 July, 12:22, "dido22" wrote:
Hi, I am growing some red cabbages & they are beginning to form a heart. I
have had no problem with bugs so far, but suddenly notice holes in the
innermost leaves. I have peeled some leaves back & found a few green
caterpillars inside, plus some green deposits which might be eggs or
caterpillar-poo.

I ought to have covered them with a net at an earlier stage.

Is it worth trying to rescue them or is it too late ?

KK

At one time there were deadly poisons that would have fixed your
problem. No longer available now. You can hose the caterpillars of.
You can pick them off by hand too. You need a surprisingly small mesh
to keep the butterflies out.
The green is shit, you're right.
They have probably only got to the outer leaves so all is not yet lost.