Old 18-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered User

Default Yet another ID required

Please can somebody tell me what this plant is? I started growing some seeds last summer of this plant. They were tiny this time last year but overwintered in my greenhouse so obviously a hardy perennial. The person I got them from could not give me a name. He said the flower is a kind of spike shooting up in early Summer and it was a very dark purple. He got the seeds from a park near to where he works. I haven't been able to find the plant on the 'net'.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another ID required-what-.jpg
Old 19-07-2010, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Lintama
writes

Please can somebody tell me what this plant is? I started growing some
seeds last summer of this plant. They were tiny this time last year but
overwintered in my greenhouse so obviously a hardy perennial. The
person
I got them from could not give me a name. He said the flower is a kind
of spike shooting up in early Summer and it was a very dark purple. He

got the seeds from a park near to where he works. I haven't been able
to find the plant on the 'net'.

I can't identify it, so I'll take Dave Hill's word, but your conclusion
that it is a hardy perennial was unsafe. It could have been a hardy
biennial. Depending on how much protection you greenhouse provides it
could also be a half-hardy biennial or half-hardy perennial.

Digging around the WWW I find that it is hardy to -10C or so. But it is
also described as a half-hardy annual.

--
Lintama

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-07-2010, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Lintama wrote:

Thankfully I have found out that the plant is actually an ornamental
millet which is supposed to be an annual which I find a bit strange as I
have had it over a year now which was grown from a seed. Still waiting
for it to flower though.

Many 'annuals' and 'biennials' are actually short-lived monocarpic
plants (i.e. they die after flowering), and will be annual in good
conditions and biennial in poor ones of if they germinate late.
Angelica is also one, but is classed as a perennial, because it
often takes 3 years to flower and seed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-07-2010, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Lintama
writes

Stewart Robert Hinsley;894636 Wrote:
In message , Lintama
writes-

[...]

I am confused at your answer. Who is Dave Hill and where is his
answer?!!

Dave Hill is the person who identified the plant as Pennisetum glaucum
'Purple Majesty', before I responded.

Thankfully I have found out that the plant is actually an ornamental
millet which is supposed to be an annual which I find a bit strange as I
have had it over a year now which was grown from a seed. Still waiting
for it to flower though.

Thank you for your response.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley