Old 19-07-2010, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery Plant.

As you've been spot-on with a couple of other plant I.D. questions I've had,
I thought I'd give you another try. I got this "shrub" as a freebie a few
years ago, from memory (poor at the best of times) I thought it was a
minature mimosa but when I look that up on "tinternet" it looks nothing like
the photo's, I know mimosas have folding leaves but just thought it was a
different type. i suspect also that it doesn't like the soil type in my
garden (alkaline,chalky/flint) as some of the leaves go yellow, any ideas?

http://sites.google.com/site/whatisthisplant/

Regards.

Old 19-07-2010, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David D" wrote in message
As you've been spot-on with a couple of other plant I.D. questions I've
had, I thought I'd give you another try. I got this "shrub" as a freebie a
few years ago, from memory (poor at the best of times) I thought it was a
minature mimosa but when I look that up on "tinternet" it looks nothing
like the photo's, I know mimosas have folding leaves but just thought it
was a different type. i suspect also that it doesn't like the soil type in
my garden (alkaline,chalky/flint) as some of the leaves go yellow, any
ideas?

http://sites.google.com/site/whatisthisplant/

Looks like a fruit tree to me, possibly apple
R.

Old 19-07-2010, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 July, 15:47, "Ragnar" wrote:
"David D" wrote in message

As you've been spot-on with a couple of other plant I.D. questions I've
had, I thought I'd give you another try. I got this "shrub" as a freebie a
few years ago, from memory (poor at the best of times) I thought it was a
minature mimosa but when I look that up on "tinternet" it looks nothing
like the photo's, I know mimosas have folding leaves but just thought it
was a different type. i suspect also that it doesn't like the soil type in
my garden (alkaline,chalky/flint) as some of the leaves go yellow, any
ideas?

http://sites.google.com/site/whatisthisplant/

Looks like a fruit tree to me, possibly apple
R.

My thouight is Magnolia stelata
Old 19-07-2010, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 19 July, 15:47, "Ragnar" wrote:
"David D" wrote in message

As you've been spot-on with a couple of other plant I.D. questions I've
had, I thought I'd give you another try. I got this "shrub" as a
freebie a
few years ago, from memory (poor at the best of times) I thought it was
minature mimosa but when I look that up on "tinternet" it looks nothing
like the photo's, I know mimosas have folding leaves but just thought
it
was a different type. i suspect also that it doesn't like the soil type
in
my garden (alkaline,chalky/flint) as some of the leaves go yellow, any
ideas?

http://sites.google.com/site/whatisthisplant/

My thouight is Magnolia stelata

Yes, thanks Dave, pretty sure that's what it is now. Was getting my Mimosa
and Magnolia mixed up!!

Old 20-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
I thought it was a minature mimosa
Mimosa is a vague term that seems to be used for several different plants with a similar leaf formation. So it isn't a very helpful word when trying to identify something precisely. But, as has been made clear, this is actually a magnolia.

Old 28-04-2011, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David D" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 19 July, 15:47, "Ragnar" wrote:
"David D" wrote in message

[...]

Well, it appears it's not a magnolia stellata, I've given it to a friend as
it didn't like my chalky soil, it's doing fine in his garden BUT it hasn't
flowered (stellata's already have) and it's producing catkins. Could it be a
mini willow?

Old 29-04-2011, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 29.04.2011 00:23, schrieb David D:

Well, it appears it's not a magnolia stellata, I've given it to a friend as
it didn't like my chalky soil, it's doing fine in his garden BUT it hasn't
flowered (stellata's already have) and it's producing catkins. Could it be a
mini willow?

Salix magnifica?
Cheers
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 30-04-2011, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-28 23:23:07 +0100, "David D" said:

"David D" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 19 July, 15:47, "Ragnar" wrote:
"David D" wrote in message

[...]

Can someone photograph those catkins? Magnolias can produce furry
catkin-like buds and this may be e.g. Magnolia x loebneri about to flower
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I'll try and get a photo.

Old 26-12-2011, 01:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

It is clear to the meanest intellect that you post nothing with any information content. I for one am so irritated by your resurrection of long-dead posts that nothing would induce me to click on the website you are advertising.