Old 24-07-2010, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default overwinter abutilon

Having lost a couple of yellow abutilons last winter (the pink
survived), I'm thinking well ahead about frost protection for the
replacements. Alas, I have no room indoors, and no greenhouse, so my
options are 1) a shed with no windows or 2) bubble wrap outdoors in a
sheltered location.
My questions are, do they need light and moisture in winter, or are they
like pelargoniums which seem happy with neither? Also, if wrapped
outdoors, do you leave the top open or enclose the whole plant? I'm
never sure whether plants are more vulnerable above or below the soil
level.
Thanks for any advice
Old 24-07-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message rTz2o.11923$FM1.7241@hurricane, stuart noble
writes
Having lost a couple of yellow abutilons last winter (the pink
survived),

I lost every one last winter, except for the cuttings on the
windowsills.

I'm thinking well ahead about frost protection for the replacements.
Alas, I have no room indoors, and no greenhouse, so my options are 1) a
shed with no windows or 2) bubble wrap outdoors in a sheltered location.

If I recall correctly, when Abutilons are sold as patio shrubs the
instructions tell you to prune them back and store them in a garage, so
a shed should be OK.

But in my experience in most winters they will come through in a

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-07-2010, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message rTz2o.11923$FM1.7241@hurricane, stuart noble
writes
Having lost a couple of yellow abutilons last winter (the pink survived),

I lost every one last winter, except for the cuttings on the windowsills.

I'm thinking well ahead about frost protection for the replacements.
Alas, I have no room indoors, and no greenhouse, so my options are 1)
a shed with no windows or 2) bubble wrap outdoors in a sheltered
location.

If I recall correctly, when Abutilons are sold as patio shrubs the
instructions tell you to prune them back and store them in a garage, so
a shed should be OK.

But in my experience in most winters they will come through in a
sheltered location.

Having mostly containers, and an exceedingly small shed, it would suit
me fine if all half hardy plants were like pelargoniums. Shake the soil
off, wrap in newspaper and stack them up. Don't think I'll try that with
the abutilons though

They gave me an Abutilon. NOW what? Felice Friese Gardening 1 30-08-2004 11:33 PM
Abutilon cutting someone gave me at Kew?? cross United Kingdom 3 11-09-2003 11:24 PM
Abutilon Marie & Wej United Kingdom 0 12-08-2003 10:37 AM
Abutilon AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:09 PM
Abutilon AndWhyNot United Kingdom 4 25-06-2003 08:20 PM