Old 25-07-2010, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bloody blackfly!

My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying them
with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Alan

Old 25-07-2010, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

alan.holmes wrote:
My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying them
with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Don't grow runner beans?
If it helps, mine are the same. It seems to be a big year for black fly
this year. :-(
Old 26-07-2010, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2010 22:55, alan.holmes wrote:
My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying them
with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Alan

Grow nasturtiums nearby - they're covered in blackfly, but the runner
beans are clean - tho by next week they'll probably be covered too!!!
Jill

Old 26-07-2010, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jill Bell wrote:
So, what is the real solution?

Grow nasturtiums nearby - they're covered in blackfly, but the runner
beans are clean - tho by next week they'll probably be covered too!!!

Oddly, this year my nasturtiums appear unaffected. :-(
And I've never been entirely convinced that nasturtiums work as a
sacrificial plant and don't just bring the damned things in more.

Old 26-07-2010, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying
them with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Alan

Insecticide?

And what sort of insecticide will that be?

Alan

Ian

Old 26-07-2010, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying
them with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Alan

Insecticide?

And what sort of insecticide will that be?

The ones labelled "blackfly killer"...

I use Provado.

Ian

Old 26-07-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/07/2010 17:05, alan.holmes wrote:
"Ian wrote in message

wrote in message

My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying
them with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Alan

Insecticide?

And what sort of insecticide will that be?

.................one suitable for killing blackfly........... DARFC!
Sorry, Alan, couldn't resist:-)
Jill
Old 26-07-2010, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 July, 22:55, "alan.holmes" wrote:
My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying them
with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Alan

Breed thousands of ladybirds ??

Old 26-07-2010, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-07-26 18:56:51 +0100, sutartsorric
said:

On 25 July, 22:55, "alan.holmes" wrote:
My runner beans are covered with the damned things, I've tried spraying
them
with soapy water but is doesn't seem to have killed them!

So, what is the real solution?

Alan

Breed thousands of ladybirds ??

We haven't seen one this year. I'm going to see if it's possible to buy
them.

I have seen some o the runners, but I did not kow they were harmful to the
damned things.

By 'some' I mean just a few!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-07-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jill Bell wrote:
They're probably acting as a breeding ground - and the next thing will
be the cabbage white caterpillars! But at the moment, they look very
colourful:-)

Touch wood, all my brassicas are fleeced. Not got the sprouts out of the
greenhouse yet, though

Old 26-07-2010, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Breed thousands of ladybirds ??

We haven't seen one this year. I'm going to see if it's possible to buy them.

Oh, that reminds me, I bought Nick some ladybird eggs or something for
Christmas. I hope they don't go off! :-(

Old 26-07-2010, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

sutartsorric wrote:
So, what is the real solution?

Breed thousands of ladybirds ??

I accidentally squashed one this evening. It appears to have been crawling
down my back