Old 31-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered User

Question fig

I have a 6 yr. old fig tree which has only had half a doz. figs which fall off before they ripen. it is in a large tub with resticted roots...what am I doing wrong??
Old 31-07-2010, 01:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaara View Post
I have a 6 yr. old fig tree which has only had half a doz. figs which fall off before they ripen. it is in a large tub with resticted roots...what am I doing wrong??
When do the figs appear? When do they fall off? How large are they when they fall off?
Old 31-07-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fig

--
solaara

Having problems with my news reader so hoping this gets through, my
experience of figs is that in pots you can never quite get the watering
right, plants normally grow ok but the feast famine situation normally
causes the fruit to drop

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 31-07-2010, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"solaara" wrote in message

I have a 6 yr. old fig tree which has only had half a doz. figs which
fall off before they ripen. it is in a large tub with resticted
roots...what am I doing wrong??

--
solaara

Having problems with my news reader so hoping this gets through, my
experience of figs is that in pots you can never quite get the watering
right, plants normally grow ok but the feast famine situation normally
causes the fruit to drop

Our fig (Brown Turkey) in a pot normally does O.K. and produces 3 or 4 ripe
fruit as long as it is watched carefully and kept well watered.

Which variety of fig do you have?
There is an earlier thread which established that our neighbour had a fig
that required fertilising by a specific type of wasp (which won't happen in
the UK).
The symptoms were that the fruit turned brown (as if they were ripe) but
didn't fill out.
They then dropped off.
Are your figs dropping when they are still bright green?

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder