Old 22-08-2010, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default RHS Level 2 Certificate in Horticulture

I am interested in studying for the RHS Level 2 Certificate in Horticulture,
there does not seem to be a level 1.

This is intended to be studied either at college or by correspondence
course. Both options are a long way beyond my budget. I have learned from
my present profession, IT that self study is an economical and viable
option, however I can not find any self study guides available.

Can anyone who have obtained this certification through self study advise
how they did this? For financial reasons I can not purchase a large
quantity of books but can make use of online resources and free e-books etc.

Thanks

Old 22-08-2010, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

T wrote:
I am interested in studying for the RHS Level 2 Certificate in
Horticulture, there does not seem to be a level 1.

This is intended to be studied either at college or by correspondence
course. Both options are a long way beyond my budget. I have
learned from my present profession, IT that self study is an
economical and viable option, however I can not find any self study
guides available.
Can anyone who have obtained this certification through self study
advise how they did this? For financial reasons I can not purchase a
large quantity of books but can make use of online resources and free
e-books etc.

Why not write to the education officer at the RHS itself and explain the
problem? There may be a recognized self-taught route.

Good luck.

--
Mike.

Old 24-08-2010, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Why not write to the education officer at the RHS itself and explain the
problem? There may be a recognized self-taught route.

Good luck.

I would have thought it would be quite difficult to self teach the RHS
course. We gained invaluable experience going to gardens and being shown
stuff practically and also talking amongst the class.
The evening classes are often subsidised if you have a low income so why
not ask at your local council/adult education offices?
There are self taught courses advertised but they are quite expensive.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph