Old 26-08-2010, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flowering Cherry Wood

I have been forced to bring down a large flowering cherry tree planted
by previous owners of the house. It was becoming dangerous and large
roots were breaking through the surface of the front lawn etc.. It was
c. 35ft tall with a base circumference of c. 4ft. As a result I now have
a lot of cherry wood. Some will be dried and turned for bowls, platters
etc. for local sales of work but a lot will remain. My plan is to cut
and split it for fuel for our wood burner but I know some woods are
unsuitable for this. Does anyone know if it's OK to burn flowering
cherry wood?

Needless to say I would have much preferred to have left the tree in
place but, under the circumstances, it was not a sensible option.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 26-08-2010, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gopher
writes
I have been forced to bring down a large flowering cherry tree planted
by previous owners of the house. It was becoming dangerous and large
roots were breaking through the surface of the front lawn etc.. It was
c. 35ft tall with a base circumference of c. 4ft. As a result I now
have a lot of cherry wood. Some will be dried and turned for bowls,
platters etc. for local sales of work but a lot will remain. My plan is
to cut and split it for fuel for our wood burner but I know some woods
are unsuitable for this. Does anyone know if it's OK to burn flowering
cherry wood?

Needless to say I would have much preferred to have left the tree in
place but, under the circumstances, it was not a sensible option.

Very bad form to respond to my own post - sorry; but Google has been my
friend (yet again). The following links may be helpful to anyone who is
in a similar predicament:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/woodburning_chart.html

http://www.wildeye.co.uk/trees/firewood.html

I should ask Mr. G. before wasting your time. Repeated apologies!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 26-08-2010, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gopher wrote:
I have been forced to bring down a large flowering cherry tree planted
by previous owners of the house. ... My plan is to cut
and split it for fuel for our wood burner but I know some woods are
unsuitable for this. Does anyone know if it's OK to burn flowering
cherry wood?

Very few are unsuitable, and cherry is not one of them. It is as
good as apple.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.