Old 27-08-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is it too late to buy ladybirds?

Been talked into buying a ladybird house and some larvae or adults, but
should I wait until spring?

I can't see how they're not just going to bugger off 5 minutes after I've
put them in the garden, but I've promised now...

Anyone have experience of this kind of setup? Any tips for feeding, etc?

Old 27-08-2010, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Been talked into buying a ladybird house and some larvae or adults,
but should I wait until spring?

I can't see how they're not just going to bugger off 5 minutes after
I've put them in the garden, but I've promised now...

Anyone have experience of this kind of setup? Any tips for feeding,
etc?

I have constructed a "juice bar" for my butterflies, and a "heliport" for my
hover flies. Due to lack of funds, my ladybirds currently have to make do
with a little council house, with a tiny dolls house fridge rusting in its
garden. They're certainly having a lot of children though.

Ian

Old 27-08-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Been talked into buying a ladybird house and some larvae or adults, but
should I wait until spring?

I can't see how they're not just going to bugger off 5 minutes after I've
put them in the garden, but I've promised now...

Anyone have experience of this kind of setup? Any tips for feeding, etc?

Why on earth would you want to buy ladybirds?
Here in the West Midlands over the last couple of weeks, there have been
hundreds seen, mostly on the floor, but we have had no appreciable greenfly
or whitefly this year, the ladybirds are rather larger than usual, I think
there was mostly 7 spots on the ones I stopped to check.
If I scooped them up up, how much would I get for them?
With all the rain we have had just lately they are getting a bit scarce now.

Old 28-08-2010, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-08-27 21:38:44 +0100, "cineman"
said:

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Been talked into buying a ladybird house and some larvae or adults,
but should I wait until spring?

I can't see how they're not just going to bugger off 5 minutes
after I've put them in the garden, but I've promised now...

Anyone have experience of this kind of setup? Any tips for feeding,
etc?

Why on earth would you want to buy ladybirds?
Here in the West Midlands over the last couple of weeks, there have
been hundreds seen, mostly on the floor, but we have had no
appreciable greenfly or whitefly this year, the ladybirds are rather
larger than usual, I think there was mostly 7 spots on the ones I
stopped to check. If I scooped them up up, how much would I get for them?
With all the rain we have had just lately they are getting a bit
scarce now.

Nice for you and friends in Grimsby have said just the same. I
haven't seen one this year and Ray has seen just that - one.

We're suddenly mobbed with them round here in Northampton.

Ian

Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Been talked into buying a ladybird house and some larvae or adults, but
should I wait until spring?

I can't see how they're not just going to bugger off 5 minutes after I've
put them in the garden, but I've promised now...

Anyone have experience of this kind of setup? Any tips for feeding, etc?

No need to buy. Round here they work in shifts. During the winter the
house fills up with Harlequin ladybirds, and in the spring they have to be
let out by the hundred. Then they swarm outside over everything, mating in
numerous colour and spot variations. They don't seem to help much with the
honeydew which drips off the overhanging sycamore trees though, and turns
the cars black.

Then in the middle of the summer, as recently, there is a huge glut of 7
spot ladybirds, which cover everything in the same way as the Harlequins
before them. These do seem to eat the aphids, and the cars are now all
clean.

Then in the autumn, the Harlequin shift comes back, and often so does the
honeydew. Then they hide everywhere in the house till spring. Have no idea
how they know when it is spring as the central heating and house lights must
mask any signs of the seasons outside.

Ladybirds again.. to buy or not to buy Mentalguy2k8[_2_] United Kingdom 15 18-05-2011 07:17 PM
How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM