Old 31-08-2010, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Shredders

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...

Any recommendations for electric shredders please? I am not entirely
sure whether the "silent" ones are effective, having read a few
reviews...

If you don't need a fine mulch then the only one I would consider would
be the Bosch 2200, its quiet, handles big woody stuff well and doesn't
clog, not sure what they have done to the newer version

I went today and bought the Bosch 2000, which seems to be more than
adequate for my requirements. It doesn't have a collection
container, the bag is listed as an accessory!

However, I was able to use my collapsible garden bag and that collected
everything. In less than an hour I almost filled my large compost
bin, and the feed was much faster than the old B&D which had to be
force-fed.

It claims to deal with 3.5 cm diameter branches, but anything over about
2cms I put in a pile as a habitat in a corner of the garden for any
homeless creatures.

As a footnote, nobody picked up on my howler[1] when I mentioned my huge
Freesia shrub, when I should have said "Forsythia" of course.

[1] Or else everyone was being polite. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 31-08-2010, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:37:32 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Somewhat OT, but it's interesting that you have been successfully using
a 3500w device for years without problem. This equates to just over 15
amps ...

At 230v most supplies in the UK are still 240v (nominal).

... and the 13A plug fuse and supply box fuse/power breaker don't
complain.

A 13A fuse will carry 13A more or less indefinately. A 13A fuse
carrying 13A (or 15A) may get a bit warm and if the clips holding it
are not in the best of contact they will overheat and melt the plug
top before the fuse goes...

We did melt a plug top and blow the 13A fuse with both the urn and
3kW kettle on the other day, took a few minutes though. Not sure what
the urn is but probably 2 or 3kW, so 20 to 25A.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Aug, 23:45, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

How is a motor rated? The only limitation is the amount of heat the
conductors and insulation will stand. It only draws it's full rated
current for a few seconds if something especially thick goes in. But
the power is there if needed.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On 31 Aug, 09:59, Emery Davis wrote:
On 08/31/2010 09:14 AM, harry wrote:

On 30 Aug, 19:57, Gordon H
wrote:
I did some severe pruning today of a large Freesia shrub which was
becoming aggressive towards me...

Halfway through shredding the off-cuts my shredder started making
interesting noises that I could hear even through the ear defenders,
and
soon there was smoke. After dismantling and cleaning it, only a hum
could be heard, and it will have to be dumped.

Glancing through B & Q offerings, they all look rather plastic compared
with the sturdy B & Decker which has served me for about 20 years, in
spite of being left outdoors much of that time.

Any recommendations for electric shredders please? I am not entirely
sure whether the "silent" ones are effective, having read a few
reviews...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

The shredders you but in garden centres are crap. I have a "ALKO"
commercial one with a 3500watt motor. Had it for years.

Harry, this is very interesting to me as I'm considering buying an ALKO
shredder this winter. Competing seems to be Viking (Sthil). I've been
very happy with my Echo machines but their models seem much larger.

Have you ever jammed it with a stick that's too large? Can you go right
up to the limit with hard woods like oak or chestnut?

Thanks for any info.

-E- Hide quoted text -

Well if you get something in that it won't handle, it instantly
reverses and chucks it out. Doesn't happen often. There is also a
manual reverse switch on it. As long as it's wood and fits through the
hole/slot it will generally go throught machine and come out cut up
about 3/4" long and all splintered up. Rots down pretty quick. It's
best to wood through whilst it's still green ie immediately after
you've cut it down. hardwoods are no problem as long as they are
green.

I thought my shredder was a Bosch, but it isn't it's a JCB.
It was not cheap at the time. It will shred anything dry up to just past
broomhandle size with branches attached if they are are dry. It hates green
and will clog if you persist which is a nuisance as it's necessary to take
the whole top off then and it's difficult to get it on again. Those screws
know when it's safe or not..

Tina

If It's too big to go in the slot, it's big enough for firewood is my
policy :-)

Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Aug, 20:48, Gordon H
wrote:
[...]

We don't know the difference. :-)
I have a pile of tree roots for the same reason. They quietly rot
away, I chuck more on top.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

policy *:-)- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like you've got a disc one. I have no such problems with mine.