Old 13-09-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thyme

"dido22" wrote in message
Hello,

I grow Thyme in a tub during the summer, usually throw it out late autumn.
Will it survive if I plant it out in the garden ?

Thanks

KK

The only real problem with thyme is that it is really a little bush, so the
leaves get further and further away from the root and leave it looking half
dead. This is why it looks so good on ant hills in grassland where it is
kept grazed back by rabbits and sheep. Keep yours clipped and try several
of the many varieties, and some will always look at its best.

Old 14-09-2010, 10:16 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

That's a bit of a simplification. There's several different species of thyme, and many varieties, all with different habits. I'm not sure whether the usual wild thyme is commonly grown in gardens.
Old 14-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered User

In a hot, dry sunny situatioon there is nothing better. As suggested keep it clipped back. We find it self seeds into all sorts of nooks and crannies. Also, strange as it may seem, even the shade from its own leaves is enough to kill of the roots, it really does need sun that much.