Old 14-09-2010, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacement Plants for Fence

Hi,

I'm looking to replace some Leylandii that are next to a south facing fence
at the bottom of my garden. Aside from the practicalities of removing them
what would people suggest as replacements? Ideally I'm looking for something
that will grow to a reasonable height (e.g. 6-8 foot) without to much
excessive outwards growth although I would want to camoflage the fence as
well. Initial thoughts were some bamboo although I'm aware some these can be
quite rampant. Has anyone some other good suggestions?

If it's any help I'm in the East Midlands.

Cheers

Old 14-09-2010, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Sep, 20:00, "Endulini" wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to replace some Leylandii that are next to a south facing fence
at the bottom of my garden. *Aside from the practicalities of removing them
what would people suggest as replacements? Ideally I'm looking for something
that will grow to *a reasonable height (e.g. 6-8 foot) without to much
excessive outwards growth although I would want to camoflage the fence as
well. Initial thoughts were some bamboo although I'm aware some these can be
quite rampant. Has anyone some other good suggestions?

If it's any help I'm in the East Midlands.

Cheers

You dont say how close the existing trees are.
I'd cut off the existing Leylandii at the height you want, 6 or 7 ft
then trim off any side branches, the trees won't re shoot, then use
the trunks as support for climbing roses and possibly plant shrub
roses in between, or some other shrubs.
That way you have a lot less work getting out the stumps and have less
wood to remove.
David Hill
Old 14-09-2010, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

They are hard up against the fence. I quite like the idea of this although I
do still need some height to give a bit of 'extra' privacy i.e. just a bit
extra above the fence.

Old 14-09-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking to replace some Leylandii that are next to a south facing
fence at the bottom of my garden. Aside from the practicalities of
removing them what would people suggest as replacements? Ideally I'm
looking for something that will grow to a reasonable height (e.g. 6-8
foot) without to much excessive outwards growth although I would want to
camoflage the fence as well. Initial thoughts were some bamboo although
I'm aware some these can be quite rampant. Has anyone some other good
suggestions?

If it's any help I'm in the East Midlands.

Cheers

Which side of the south facing fence?

If the south side: yum yum! Figs; grapes; apricots; nectarines;
greengages...

And you are asking from 'fruit.com'!

Old 15-09-2010, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Sep, 20:44, "Endulini" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

I understand that the Leylandii will have leached the soil around them
of nutrients, so you might have a problem doing this, unless you feed
the soil.

Jonathan