Old 24-09-2010, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default O/T: Jupiter

Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? Apparently it's well worth the
effort. It's ... very bright and shiny!

Old 24-09-2010, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Jupiter

Ian B wrote:
When I was a wee kiddie I was an astronomy nut. One of my teachers' husbands
was a keen amateur astronomer with a good telescope, and one evening I went
to their house with my mum and looked through his scope at Jupiter, and I
can still remember the thrill of seeing the Galilean moons for real- not
just a picture in a book- for the first time. Totally awesome.

Apparently it's the best it's been for about 40 years at the moment!

I daresay nowadays that would have to be approved by the government in case
they were "grooming" me for something and everyone would be scared about
getting sued if I fell off the footstool I stood on to look through the
telescope or something.

Or a planet fell on you.

Back then, Mrs Emerson just asked me if I'd like to
do it, and I asked my mum to take me up there, and my mum and Mrs Emerson
had a cup of tea in the warm while us men pottered in the garden. Simpler
and more sensible times, and a very happy memory.

It is sad that things have changed so much. When my parents moved to the
other end of the country when I was 10, my teacher (presumably jokingly)
offered to let me go and stay with him and his wife. He'd probably have
been arrested for even suggesting it these days.
Old 24-09-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Sep 2010 23:47:51 GMT, wrote:

Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? Apparently it's well worth the
effort. It's ... very bright and shiny!

I will tonight!
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 24-09-2010, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Sep, 00:47, wrote:
Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? *Apparently it's well worth the
effort. *It's ... very bright and shiny!

It's very easy to spot at the moment. Or it was last week. This week
it would need to laser us to get through the cloud cover.

Old 24-09-2010, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? Apparently it's well worth the
effort. It's ... very bright and shiny!

I will tonight!

Looking a bit overcast atm.
Old 24-09-2010, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

bobharvey wrote:
It's very easy to spot at the moment. Or it was last week. This week
it would need to laser us to get through the cloud cover.

Whereabouts are you, Bob? It was beautifully clear last night down here in
Essex.
Old 24-09-2010, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? Apparently it's well worth the
effort. It's ... very bright and shiny!

Wheras down on the East Coast at the moment it is the other way round :-(

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 24-09-2010, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? Apparently it's well worth the
effort. It's ... very bright and shiny!

Wheras down on the East Coast at the moment it is the other way round :-(

Not a chance of seenig anything tonight, it's completely clouded over and a
bit rainy

Old 24-09-2010, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 24, 12:47*am, wrote:
Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? *Apparently it's well worth the
effort. *It's ... very bright and shiny!

Is that a telescope in your pocket or are you just pleased to see
Jupiter?

Old 25-09-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Wheras down on the East Coast at the moment it is the other way round :-(

Not a chance of seenig anything tonight, it's completely clouded over and a
bit rainy

Almost cloudless here tonight with a brilliant moon and Jupiter very
bright. It's very cold too, feels like we might get a frost.

It did actually clear surprisingly well last night. Sharp wind this
morning. But nice in the sun.

I should go and dig potatoes. :-/
Old 26-09-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Anyone bothered getting a telescope out? Apparently it's well worth the
effort. It's ... very bright and shiny!

--

Many thanks for the heads up (no pun intended). Tonight (Sunday) Jupiter is
very visible from South Wales. The four moons easily seen using a 30x

Nice to see.

Bill