GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT opening Kilner jars (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193933-ot-opening-kilner-jars.html)

Moonraker 01-10-2010 09:29 AM

OT opening Kilner jars

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

Wally[_3_] 01-10-2010 12:45 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?

Don't know much about Kilner jars but thinking about it
there can't be a complete vacuum in them or they would
implode, so try immersing in warm/hot water and the small amount
of air in there would expand making the lid easier to remove.

I may be completely wrong but it's a thought and worth a try ??

Wally

Don Gray 01-10-2010 01:15 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

In message
Moonraker wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.
2. There is a plastic tool with a strap attached that you fit around
the lid. Tighten with the handle and pressure from your hand should
release the air pressure. I nearly bought one some time ago. for
opening new jars, for my grip is not as strong as it used to be.

Cheers
Don

shazzbat 01-10-2010 02:51 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

"Wally" wrote in message

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening
them?

Don't know much about Kilner jars but thinking about it
there can't be a complete vacuum in them or they would
implode, so try immersing in warm/hot water and the small amount
of air in there would expand making the lid easier to remove.

I may be completely wrong but it's a thought and worth a try ??

Technically what's in them is a depression. The word vacuum is used
incorrectly in many instances, notably "vacuum" cleaner or flask. In the
event that the depression in the jar has been caused by filling the jar with
hot contents which then contracted on cooling[1], heating up again should
release the lid when the pressures equalise, although this may take some
time. Otherwise it's down to the strap round the lid.

Steve

[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?

Moonraker 01-10-2010 03:17 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

On 01/10/2010 13:15, Don Gray wrote:
In
wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.
2. There is a plastic tool with a strap attached that you fit around
the lid. Tighten with the handle and pressure from your hand should
release the air pressure. I nearly bought one some time ago. for
opening new jars, for my grip is not as strong as it used to be.

Cheers
Don

I have one of those, the domestic equivalent of a strap wrench,
absolutely essential to limp wristed old man. I don't think et will fit
around the glass lid though, I do use it to loosen the plastic screw
cap. I think in order to equalise the pressure (I realise it is not a
vacuum, but that describes it best to most peeps) I think it would be
necessary to place them in an oven, as they were to be bottled.

Pam Moore[_2_] 01-10-2010 03:40 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 09:29:34 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

Ask Jeremy Clarkson!!!

Pam in Bristol

[email protected] 01-10-2010 04:25 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:

[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?

By putting it in under pressure?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kathy McIntosh 01-10-2010 04:48 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?

I passed a charity shop the other day that had a box of a dozen Kilner jars
for sale. They were of the older type, with metal screw sections. They
were extremely rusty, and I wouldn't have wanted to put anything remotely
edible in them.

They wanted £50 for them!

--
Kathy

Moonraker 01-10-2010 04:54 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

On 01/10/2010 16:48, Kathy McIntosh wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I passed a charity shop the other day that had a box of a dozen Kilner
jars for sale. They were of the older type, with metal screw sections.
They were extremely rusty, and I wouldn't have wanted to put anything
remotely edible in them.

They wanted £50 for them!

The annoying thing is that I inherited a lot from my mother, however
they stopped making the lids, so I threw them away. Now they have
stopped making the glass topped ones and have reverted to the old style,
so now obtaining spares for mine is virtually impossible.

Gordon H[_3_] 01-10-2010 05:03 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

Ask Jeremy Clarkson!!!

Pam in Bristol

Put it in a microwave for an hour or so on full power.

Usual disclaimers.....
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Christina Websell 01-10-2010 08:05 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?
--

Not in this country, but when I was in Germany at a fleamarket there was
something to be bought for 1 euro to do just that. No-one knew what it was

Tina

graham 02-10-2010 04:14 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

"Don Gray" wrote in message
In message
Moonraker wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.

No! That will react with the rubber seal.
Graham

graham 02-10-2010 04:20 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?
--

IME, it's often that the lid is glued on by dried syrup. I usually put the
neck area under a hot running tap for 15-30 secs to remove any excess. Then

Roger Tonkin 02-10-2010 07:47 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

In article ,
says...

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?
--

IME, it's often that the lid is glued on by dried syrup. I usually put the
neck area under a hot running tap for 15-30 secs to remove any excess. Then
lever off the lid with a blunt knife. I've never had the problem with
chipping.
Graham

Exactly my approach, though I always wipe the tops and rubber rings
before sealing, so there should not be any sticky syrup! I use a blunt
knite or lare wide screwdriver. I may damage the rubber ring this way,
but I've never chipped the glass.

Roger T

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 02-10-2010 09:35 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

wrote:
In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?

By putting it in under pressure?

You can always buy packets of dehydrated vacuum

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 02-10-2010 09:38 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Kathy McIntosh wrote:

I passed a charity shop the other day that had a box of a dozen Kilner
jars for sale. They were of the older type, with metal screw sections.
They were extremely rusty, and I wouldn't have wanted to put anything
remotely edible in them.

The metal rings have no contact with the contents. I'd use them
perfectly happily.

They wanted £50 for them!

But not at that price...

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 02-10-2010 09:43 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Christina Websell wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?
--

Not in this country, but when I was in Germany at a fleamarket there was
something to be bought for 1 euro to do just that. No-one knew what it was
for until my German friend asked what it was, and then she bought it for
herself;-)
So there is a special thingie.

It's called a 'butterknife'.

Take one knife with a rounded end and wet it. Insert between glass lid
and rubber seal. If necessary, twist knife a little until the bottle
hisses at you - or breaks...

Nah, if youi do it gently, it never breaks - but you should discard the
ring after opening like that.

--
Rusty

Don Gray 03-10-2010 07:18 AM

OT opening Kilner jars

In message
"graham" wrote:

"Don Gray" wrote in message
In message
Moonraker wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.

No! That will react with the rubber seal.
Graham

Yep. Better to have amended that to the glass below the rubber seal.

--
Don

Christina Websell 03-10-2010 05:37 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?
--

Not in this country, but when I was in Germany at a fleamarket there was
something to be bought for 1 euro to do just that. No-one knew what it
was for until my German friend asked what it was, and then she bought it
for herself;-)
So there is a special thingie.

It's called a 'butterknife'.

No, it was not called a butterknife. It was a special implement
for just that purpose. Which, as I said, I haven't seen here.
Tina

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 03-10-2010 06:17 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Christina Websell wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?
--
Not in this country, but when I was in Germany at a fleamarket there was
something to be bought for 1 euro to do just that. No-one knew what it
was for until my German friend asked what it was, and then she bought it
for herself;-)
So there is a special thingie.

It's called a 'butterknife'.

No, it was not called a butterknife. It was a special implement
for just that purpose. Which, as I said, I haven't seen here.

It's always been a butterknife. If one can't be found, or is nesting in
the butter, one has to be very careful not to bend the table knife.

--
Rusty

Christina Websell 03-10-2010 06:42 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Christina Websell wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?
--
Not in this country, but when I was in Germany at a fleamarket there
was something to be bought for 1 euro to do just that. No-one knew what
it was for until my German friend asked what it was, and then she
bought it for herself;-)
So there is a special thingie.
It's called a 'butterknife'.

No, it was not called a butterknife. It was a special implement
for just that purpose. Which, as I said, I haven't seen here.

It's always been a butterknife. If one can't be found, or is nesting in
the butter, one has to be very careful not to bend the table knife.

Pffff. You just don't like it that there is a very special piece of
equipment to do it in Germany. Ain't that the truth?

Tina

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 03-10-2010 06:59 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Christina Websell wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
[...]

There's always a special bit of equipment to do anything in the kitchen
which can just as well be done with something in the drawer in the sink
unit innit.

The gadget catalogues are full of bright ideas - you buy one of them,
use it once, then go back to the way you've always done it - quicker,
and usually, better.

The only exception I can think of is the potato-sharpener with the
rocking blade - which is lovely, and only takes off a very thin slice -
except that I only rarely sharpen potatoes.

--
Rusty

Christina Websell 03-10-2010 07:43 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Christina Websell wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
[...]

This was not a new gadget, it was a very old one, which is probably the
reason that the very elderly German lady who was selling it was able to tell
us what it was for.
There were some strange gadgets there. a wooden thing that looked
interesting and I asked my friend to ask the seller what it was. There
followed a long German conversation, I kept nudging my friend to say "what
does she say it is?" More conversation for ages and eventually I got told
"She doesn't know, it's a thingie..." ;-)
Lots of thingies in that fleamarket.
Tina

Tina

bobharvey[_2_] 03-10-2010 08:28 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

On 2 Oct, 21:43, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Kniferays!

Not sure the urglers are up-to-date on rays, old chap! forgetting
where we are?

Mike Lyle 03-10-2010 09:05 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Rusty Hinge wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?

By putting it in under pressure?

You can always buy packets of dehydrated vacuum

It's not very good, though. Frozen is much better.

--
Mike.

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 03-10-2010 10:33 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

bobharvey wrote:
On 2 Oct, 21:43, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Kniferays!

Not sure the urglers are up-to-date on rays, old chap! forgetting
where we are?

No - plenty of Urglers (now) know about Rays(!).

--
Rusty

Skipweasel[_3_] 03-10-2010 10:49 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

In article ,
says...
OK, wassis then?

http://www.girolle.co.uk/wotsits.html

It's a head-scratcher for a masochistic wombat.

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 03-10-2010 10:50 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?
By putting it in under pressure?

You can always buy packets of dehydrated vacuum

It's not very good, though. Frozen is much better.

Yes, but you can keep the dehydrated stuff in the cupboard. UHT isn't
bad though.

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 03-10-2010 11:02 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...
OK, wassis then?

http://www.girolle.co.uk/wotsits.html

It's a head-scratcher for a masochistic wombat.

Or a Terwur bait-grabber?

--
Rusty

Moonraker 04-10-2010 08:34 AM

OT opening Kilner jars

On 03/10/2010 23:17, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

OK, wassis then?

http://www.girolle.co.uk/wotsits.html

And no, I don't know, and I haven't found anyone who does.

Something that requires evenly spaced threads; making crochet-lace
gloves ?

Janet

I'm sure I will get put down on this, but it is very similar to a device
that is placed into a pan, with water, items are then placed on top to
keep them out of the water so that they steam nicely.

Geoff Berrow 04-10-2010 09:33 AM

OT opening Kilner jars

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 23:17:30 +0100, Janet wrote:

And no, I don't know, and I haven't found anyone who does.

Something that requires evenly spaced threads; making crochet-lace
gloves ?

A sock making gadget perhaps?
--
Geoff Berrow
[formerly known as Geoff(Blade-Runner)]

Gordon H[_3_] 04-10-2010 06:14 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes

The only exception I can think of is the potato-sharpener with the
rocking blade - which is lovely, and only takes off a very thin slice -
except that I only rarely sharpen potatoes.

I have one which probably dates back to when we were first married
(1959), and is still serviceable and sharp. I tried numerous ones
which appeared to be the same design, but just didn't work, - blade to
stiff to swivel, or cutting edges not subtly aligned. I was
terrified that it would be lost or stop working properly!

Then a few months ago I found that Morrisons were selling a range of
black handled implements which included one which worked just as well if
not better. I still keep the old one just in case . . .
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Peter[_13_] 04-10-2010 06:46 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

OK, wassis then?

http://www.girolle.co.uk/wotsits.html

It's brass, so getting pickled eggs, On!ons, etc out of the jar is a
non-starter too.

taking boiled eggs out of egg-boiling water?

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 04-10-2010 09:08 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Moonraker wrote:

I'm sure I will get put down on this, but it is very similar to a device
that is placed into a pan, with water, items are then placed on top to
keep them out of the water so that they steam nicely.

Why can't you just put the thing in without a tool?

It would put one of those Pyrex discs in a milk saucpan - the ones which
dance about on the bottom and deflate the bubbles, preventing (or
inhibiting) the milk from boiling over.

Even so, if you forget to put one of those in when the milk is cold, you
can always put it in sideways on and let the thing go - gently.

--
Rusty

Catman 04-10-2010 09:32 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Peter wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote in
:
OK, wassis then?

http://www.girolle.co.uk/wotsits.html

It's brass, so getting pickled eggs, On!ons, etc out of the jar is a
non-starter too.

taking boiled eggs out of egg-boiling water?

Why the dead-sharp points on the wirythings?

Way too many of them as well. Overkill.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 04-10-2010 09:36 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Peter wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

Mike Lyle 04-10-2010 10:13 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of
paint?
By putting it in under pressure?
You can always buy packets of dehydrated vacuum

It's not very good, though. Frozen is much better.

Yes, but you can keep the dehydrated stuff in the cupboard. UHT isn't
bad though.

UHT? Well, I suppose it's OK for cooking, but ...

--
Mike.

Molesworth 05-10-2010 04:25 AM

OT opening Kilner jars

In article ,
Peter wrote:

Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

OK, wassis then?

http://www.girolle.co.uk/wotsits.html

It's brass, so getting pickled eggs, On!ons, etc out of the jar is a
non-starter too.

taking boiled eggs out of egg-boiling water?

for pulling hamsters out of Scientologists' nefrf?

Ron[_9_] 05-10-2010 12:02 PM

OT opening Kilner jars

On 05/10/2010 04:25, Molesworth wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Rusty wrote in
:

OK, wassis then?

http://www.girolle.co.uk/wotsits.html

It's brass, so getting pickled eggs, On!ons, etc out of the jar is a
non-starter too.

taking boiled eggs out of egg-boiling water?

for pulling hamsters out of Scientologists' nefrf?

♫ Pulling mussels from a shell ♫