Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Prize vegetables and peat.

wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
Either you have been lucky or I've been unlucky.
It's put me off ever using that stuff again, a whole seasons veg seed had
be re-bought and re-planted also putting me behind at the start of the
season. I know (hope) they will be improving it each year but "once
bitten
twice shy".

I've had the same (zero germination or weak plants) thing with JI compost.
Which I will never be buying again.

JI is a formula and should be consistent whoever makes it, but it depends on
the quality of ingredients used by the manufacturer. For example one loam is
not the same as another so one JI is not the same as another.
I use it for some plants but not for others and certainly not for large
potted plants that need moving about. Too heavy.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
I've had the same (zero germination or weak plants) thing with JI compost.
Which I will never be buying again.

JI is a formula and should be consistent whoever makes it, but it depends on
the quality of ingredients used by the manufacturer. For example one loam is
not the same as another so one JI is not the same as another.

How odd, I thought JI was a brand.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-04 23:19:35 +0100, said:

Bob Hobden wrote:
I've had the same (zero germination or weak plants) thing with JI
compost. Which I will never be buying again.
JI is a formula and should be consistent whoever makes it, but it
depends on the quality of ingredients used by the manufacturer. For
example one loam is not the same as another so one JI is not the
same as another.

How odd, I thought JI was a brand.

It is but it's what could be described as franchised, I suppose. The
formula is consistent, it's the quality of the ingredients that make
up that formula that matter. Bob is 100% right.

Like "Bordeaux mixture", or "Tom Collins", it's just the name of the
formula. It was developed at the John Innes Institute for the public
good.

--
Mike.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Well, if that's the choice; but it's still destructive of essentially
irreplaceable habitat for an unnecessary purpose. I doubt if you'd have
your bad experience with the present kinds of peat-free media.

I definitely have! The stuff is coarse as well or can be in the
makes/brands I've tried. Okay for proper plants just potting up but very
disappointing on seedlings, cuttings and young plants.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Well, if that's the choice; but it's still destructive of essentially
irreplaceable habitat for an unnecessary purpose. I doubt if you'd have
your bad experience with the present kinds of peat-free media.

I definitely have! The stuff is coarse as well or can be in the
makes/brands I've tried. Okay for proper plants just potting up but
very disappointing on seedlings, cuttings and young plants.

The worst compost I have tried to use was from Morrisons, and I should
have known better, the 40L bag was so light I easily carried it on my
shoulder to the checkout as well as a basket of grocery.
It was course, and the spring onions etc I tried to grow in a container
were a complete failure.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Well, if that's the choice; but it's still destructive of essentially
irreplaceable habitat for an unnecessary purpose. I doubt if you'd
have your bad experience with the present kinds of peat-free media.

I definitely have! The stuff is coarse as well or can be in the
makes/brands I've tried. Okay for proper plants just potting up but
very disappointing on seedlings, cuttings and young plants.

Maybe I'm more tolerant of failure! I do get the worst bits out, though.

--
Mike.