Old 30-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Elizabeth

Default shade-loving climber & acer questions

Evening everyone, I've just joined this ng, so a springtime (read:
sunrainsunhailsunrainsun) hello to all. The sky out my window is a
glorious bruise-purple which offsets the silver birch with its rain-slicked
leaves such a bright green. Ahh spring...

I'm looking for a shade-loving climber or at least a shade-lover with some
height to hide a rather ugly wall (north-east facing). The other criteria is
it needs to be able to survive in a pot or other container.

The area does get a little sun for part of the day, but not much. Any
suggestions?

My other question is regarding Acers. My favourite kind is green but turns a
bright red in autumn and has the segmented sort of Liquid Amber style leaf -
not the very lacy almost shredded look that is very popular at the moment.
Does anyone know the name of this sort of Acer?

Thanks muchly and have a lovely evening.

Regards

Elizabeth

Old 30-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Zizz

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Evening everyone, I've just joined this ng, so a springtime (read:
sunrainsunhailsunrainsun) hello to all. The sky out my window is a
glorious bruise-purple which offsets the silver birch with its

rain-slicked
leaves such a bright green. Ahh spring...

I'm looking for a shade-loving climber or at least a shade-lover with some
height to hide a rather ugly wall (north-east facing). The other criteria

is
it needs to be able to survive in a pot or other container.

The area does get a little sun for part of the day, but not much. Any
suggestions?

snip

Not sure how they would do in a pot but the climbing hydrangea is a shade
lovind deciduous climbing plant or a chaenomele (japanese quince). Or as
bnd777 suggests.

As for the acer .. I've one or two suggestions based on your description:
Acer palmatum - Dissectum Atropurpureum
Acer palmatum - Garnet
Acer palmatum - Crimson Queen (var. dissectum)
Acer palmatum - Bloodgold
HTH

Old 30-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Zizz
writes

As for the acer .. I've one or two suggestions based on your description:
Acer palmatum - Dissectum Atropurpureum
Acer palmatum - Garnet
Acer palmatum - Crimson Queen (var. dissectum)
Acer palmatum - Bloodgold
HTH

But she said she wanted one that was green and only turned red in Autmn
- all these are red leaved ones, surely? And she specifically didn't
want a leaf as dissected as 'dissectum'.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-05-2003, 01:44 PM
gastropod

Take care with the climber, it will simply rush to the sun and stay there,
there will be little foliage etc. in the lower sections. These plants climb
(other plants naturally) to get to the sun.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
[...]

Small, shade-loving & smelly? Quaggy United Kingdom 7 01-07-2003 06:08 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Shade loving plants? JB Australia 1 31-03-2003 02:32 AM
Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds David Hare-Scott Australia 8 29-03-2003 01:56 PM
Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds David Hare-Scott Australia 6 27-03-2003 01:44 PM