Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry Varieties

Phil Gurr wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Can you tell me where Creag a Bhodaich is?

Yup, just south of me in the Parish of Farr, about 10 miles south of
Inverness

True, I found.

The one I was thinking of is on the Isle of Lewis between Keose and the
end of Loch Erisort.

Which illustrates nicely the cloning of placenames.

--
Rusty
Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Phil Gurr wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Phil Gurr wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
This year I bought some called Tullameen and we're going to grow
the canes ourselves. The flavour was superb.
I don't know how this variety got its name as Tullameen is a small
town in the Canadian Rockies some 200 miles east of Vancouver. I
know it well as in my youth I was based there, prospecting for gold
and platinum. It is not a fruit growing area and most of the houses
are holiday homes. I have never grown this variety despite my connections.
I would guess that it's a location in Ireland which has been
transplanted across the pond, like innumerable other Irish and
Scottish placenames.

No such place, either in Scotland or Ireland!

Well, Isle of Man, Brittany and a host of other Gaelic-speaking communities.

Anyway, how can you be sure? Have you looked for its Gaelic spelling?

Can you tell me where Creag a Bhodaich is?

Which one? (A Sutherland one turns up in the archaeological and
geological literature, but there appear to be instances in Lewis, Mull,
and Lochaber as well, at least.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-11-2010, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Nov 8, 10:30*am, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
But Brittany is P-Celtic, not Q- of that ilk.
Some words - many words - were common to more than one branch, and
many have made their way into English - Lon Don (brown pool) for
instance,

Pwll the other one --it'll go "Dong!"

The Romans came, saw, and added 'ium' when thet didn't make-up new names
(for largely new settlements. Imagine the mapmaker and interreter -
Points at settlement next to river: "Quis hic?"
Interretor, pityingly, "Ha lon don."
"Londonium!"
"Ha nil, lon don.
"Londinium!
"Shaw ma ha, quisquis..."

Since no Gaeic language AFAWK was written, I've taken the liberty of
phoneticising (translating into Phoenecian...) the Celtic reaponses.

It should be noted that while there were several Gaelic languages used
in the British Isle, there was one which had speakers in every region,
from Lands's End to John O'Groats.

and pol, Llan/Clan, lix/lax, du/dubh, and a host of others.

Come, come, my dear sir! That hardly makes Brittany one of the
"Gaelic-speaking communities."

While it is.

(BTW, and not connected, the Romans reported that the folk of
Bristo(l) had a habit of appending an 'l' to a lot of words.

The Romans knew about Anglo-Saxon speech habits? Must have been after
the locals became not Angles, but angels.

Anglo-Saxons are likely to have picked-up local idiom, either
unconciously or mockingly, as in the latter, largely, today.

Adge Cutler Virtute et Industrial! /Adge

See?

--
Rusty

Your imaginative heterodoxy is always deeply refreshing to those of us
of a more cautious inclination.

(Apologies for the delay: my machine is unwell.)

--
Mike.